XACT_ABORT with ROLLBACK

• I have come across some stored procedures in our company database that follow this format:

SET XACT_ABORT ON

BEGIN TRY

BEGIN TRAN

-- Do some stuff here

-- Do some more stuff here

COMMIT

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

ROLLBACK;
    THROW;

END CATCH

Am I correct in thinking that the CATCH code block will never run because of the XACT_ABORT setting?

• If the error is raised inside the BEGIN TRANSACTION/COMMIT block then I think there will still be a transaction open in the CATCH block. I don't use "XACT_ABORT ON" but I would still test the @@TRANCOUNT in the catch block before rollback:

BEGIN CATCH

WHILE @@TRANCOUNT > 0 BEGIN;
    ROLLBACK;
    END;
    THROW;

END CATCH

You could check XACT_STATE() instead, which gives you more information on whether or not the transaction is committable.

• Jonathan is right.  To answer your question directly, no it doesn't mean that.  The CATCH block will be invoked because there was an error in the TRY block.  The XACT_ABORT setting means your transaction may be automatically rolled back before the CATCH block starts - hence Jonathan's suggestion of testing the transaction state before attempting to roll back.

You can test this easily enough:

SET XACT_ABORT ON

BEGIN TRY
    BEGIN TRAN
    SELECT 1/0; -- will cause error
    COMMIT;
    PRINT 'Transaction committed';
    END TRY

BEGIN CATCH
    PRINT @@trancount;
    PRINT 'Catch block invoked';
    ROLLBACK;
    THROW;
    END CATCH
    GO

BEGIN TRY
    BEGIN TRAN
    SELECT 0/1; -- will not cause error
    COMMIT;
    PRINT 'Transaction committed';
    END TRY

BEGIN CATCH
    PRINT @@trancount;
    PRINT 'Catch block invoked';
    ROLLBACK;
    THROW;
    END CATCH

John

• Awesome, thank you both for your help. I will add the additional code to check the transaction state.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply