Wrong Edition Installed

• Hi, please can you help!

At work, someone installed SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition on a production server that is about to go live to the entire enterprise.  He should have read the differences between editions as the server has 5Gb of RAM installed and only Enterprise Editon can make full use of this.  Secondly, this really is going to be rolled out to the whole enterprise (large University) and scalability and clustering would come in handy for any future enhancements.

Question:-

Is is just a case of "insert CD" of Enterpise edition and do an upgrade? 

Or would it have to be an un-install of Standard edition then an install of Enterpise edition? 

Would this affect any databases already installed on the server?

Any good advice would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance

Michael.

• I could find nothing on standard to enterprise, but there were two articles on upgrading evaluation to retail - I assume the information is the same.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237303

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281574

Be sure to read everything in both articles before you start.

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• I have downgrade from Enterprise to Standard I would assume it is the same step.

The key question is how much time do you have to get it convert?

I would calmly backup all the databases. Find out what sql version that server has and wrote it down somewhere.

stop sql server. copy all file in mssql\data to mssql\data_old.

uninstall sql

reboot

reinstall sql

reboot.

put the service pack/security patch up to where you had it last time.

open enterprise manager to see if you can see the server.

If everything looks good. stop sql server and rename the new mssql\data folder to mssql\data_new  and rename the old mssql\data_old folder to it's original name mssql\data.

start sql server.

Now you should be able to see all your databases.

good luck. 

mom

• I had to change versions once from Standard to Enterprise, and the only method I found was uninstall / re-install.  The exact method you use to put your databases back is up to you.  (i.e. detatch, restore, etc.)  You can insert the Enterprise CD and the only option you get will be to add a second instance.

Linda

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply