Writing

• Erich Brinker (5/9/2008)

I would agree with Jane. I have been a DBA for almost 4 years. For me the hard thing is to transition from the person who reads and reads and applies what he learns to the guy that is writing articles for other people to use. I have worked at some of the bigger SQL Server shops in Oklahoma and supported SQL Server at a reasonably high level(Clustering, Replication,Mirroring, Tuning etc) but I have always felt I am the guy who applies what others post and not the guy who should be explaining things to others.

It is insecurity for me as well that keeps me from writing. I see the articles and posts from people here and most have set a very high standard.

--Erich

Erich, maybe your posts would be as good, if not better than what is being contributed now? And if your contribution isn't quite as good (it will take practice), would that make it useless? Are you worried that you contribution would be wasted?

Even the best writers put out a lot that never gets read.... Think of it like how much code you have to write and expunge before you get to your final version =)

---------------------------
    |Ted Pin >>

• I like to write but I don't like to write technical article because I don't consider I am an expert to write some technical topics to inspire people. Another thing is English is my second language and sometimes my grammar is horrible. Actually it sucks. People used to laugh at my writing.

• Funny timing, this. I was tempted this week to write a bit explaining the COLUMNS-UPDATED because BOL bites on that topic. But it filtered down to not knowing how to submit an article (vs a post), figuring nobody cares, reading negative thoughts on that method by well-respected authorities here...

So I'll go with self-esteem, and not wanting to diminish the quality of the material here.

But oh man if I don't blog forth on the mental anguish of working in an environment where "data-centric" is heresy...I'm going to implode 😛

• I just want to say this to all the people who are worried that their contributions would be useless because they aren't "experts."

First of all, who is an expert? Are they only published authors or the developers who actually built the software/system of concern?

Secondly, how many times have you been able to piece an answer together from three different, incomplete posts in various locations?

I have found the solution to a panoply of problems by doing just this. And I wouldn't have been able to do this unless all three of those people chose to contribute what, by themselves, might have seemed useless.

Like Grant Fritchey said, the worst thing that can happen is you are wrong and are corrected.

But the best thing that could happen is that you make someone's day.

It's worth it! =)

|Ted Pin >>

• I would love the time to write. Unfortunately, with two children, a wife who works full-time, a full-time job and a ranch to run, there is not much time left over. Add to that, a round-trip commute of 120 miles to a job two towns away. Since I live in a rural area, good paying jobs are scarce and I have to drive to get there - there is no available public transit or opportunity for car pool. I thank God that I almost never have to sit in traffic; there are usually only a handfull of cars going either way. 🙂

There is almost no time left over. I end up using that to keep my knowledge current. This note is the full extent of my professional writing so far this month. 🙁

• Don't implode. Just far too messy.. And I'm out of shovels and bin liners 🙂 Eeek. Consider the remains....

Trying to write a poem using only T-SQL keywords. Might have got as far as KILL USER.... Sometimes it's good to be constrained...

• I don't write because I don't think I know enough about any particular subject to write about it. I am relatively new to Sql Server (2-3 years) and I am just absorbing everything here. But I sincerely appreciate all the wisdom that is shared on this site and others. It has been invaluable to me.

Debbie

• I don't write because I'm terrible at it and I don't have the time.

• Robert Domitz (5/9/2008)

I would love the time to write. Unfortunately, with two children, a wife who works full-time, a full-time job and a ranch to run, there is not much time left over. Add to that, a round-trip commute of 120 miles to a job two towns away. Since I live in a rural area, good paying jobs are scarce and I have to drive to get there - there is no available public transit or opportunity for car pool. I thank God that I almost never have to sit in traffic; there are usually only a handfull of cars going either way. 🙂

There is almost no time left over. I end up using that to keep my knowledge current. This note is the full extent of my professional writing so far this month. 🙁

One of my daughters is an aspiring author. I took her to panel event help at our public library (Pikes Peak Library District in Colorado Springs). There were to panel discussions we attended that morning. Both panels were with local authors, the first was a non-fiction panle, the second was fiction. One thing every one of the authors said, was write, write, and write some more. If you really want to this, you will find the time.

One of the fiction authors there was Kevin Anderson (Saga of the Sevens Suns, has worked with Brian Herbert on several Dune books based on notes left by Frank Herbert), and he talked about going on hikes with a recorder and talking out his books initially. If you have a long drive, get a recorder and dictate your ideas.

Have I followed any of these ideas, no, but I want to (I still find excudes not to, but that's another story) and I encourage my daughter to write as often as I can.

😎

• @Lynn, but you are already a prolific writer, as evidenced by your contribution to this forum! 😀

|Ted Pin >>

• Derek Karpinski (5/9/2008)

Don't implode. Just far too messy.. And I'm out of shovels and bin liners 🙂 Eeek. Consider the remains....

Trying to write a poem using only T-SQL keywords. Might have got as far as KILL USER.... Sometimes it's good to be constrained...

DENY SOME USER

IDENTITY IS SHUTDOWN

PRIMARY ESCAPE

mea culpa, mea culpa for the derailing

• Some very interesting comments and thanks for sharing.

Those of you with no time, I completely understand and definitely enjoy the rest of your life first. Writing about SQL, especially when you have a job in IT, is a lot to do.

Those that don't feel confident, I'll share something I've seen in my 10 years of writing. If there's a problem that I solved, no matter hot insignificant, chances are that there are 100 or 1000 people with less experience that have or are struggling with it. Something as simple as moving tempdb to a new drive. It's a simple KB article from MS, but not everyone would find it. Or understand it. I wrote an article on it and people might have seen it here, thought it was easier (or harder) to understand than MS' version, and maybe if stuck in their head.

The Internet can definitely make everyone a publisher. And that's very powerful. It can allow you your own voice.

I'd definitely suggest everyone get a technical blog and put down short entries about things you've solved. It's a great way to add to your resume and show that you are knowledgeable. Or show that you're learning. Keep it to technical posts, no posts about your dog, cat, or anything non-technical. We're redoing blogs here and we'd host it or grab a few blogger account if you want. Be sure you set at least a reminder every couple weeks to put something down.

If you find you have time, and you want to take a chance, send me something. You can email or go into the "My Account" in the upper left and submit something. I'll edit it, give you feedback, and help you get an article published and your name on the front page. I still get a kick out of it and I'm sure you will as well.

• Thanks Steve

Might have to write something - despite feeling inadequate and in gentle awe of people like Jeff Moden and Phil Factor...among others...- there are of course things I could share that may help one or two people out of holes carefully constructed by their peers.... Let me think - something may arise.Or not... Still use cursors (when appropriate..) NOLOCKs at most opportunities...

Might have to have a soft rant about commenting code.... Because I have to support what I write, and often forget (being a bear of very little brain) why I did it in the first place

Favourite code comment I've encountered (at another place)

// don't know why this works, it just does

• jburkman (5/9/2008)

Funny timing, this. I was tempted this week to write a bit explaining the COLUMNS-UPDATED because BOL bites on that topic. But it filtered down to not knowing how to submit an article (vs a post), figuring nobody cares, reading negative thoughts on that method by well-respected authorities here...

So I'll go with self-esteem, and not wanting to diminish the quality of the material here.

But oh man if I don't blog forth on the mental anguish of working in an environment where "data-centric" is heresy...I'm going to implode 😛

Well - just so you don't have the excuse anymore....Articles look to be submitted from the "Contribution Center". click on the My Account link at the top of most pages, then access the Contribution Center. Same as useful code, same as QOTD's.

I haven't had a lot of time so far, but I will confess to a total lack of confidence as to finding something worthy to talk about (i.e. something not yet beaten into the ground by many others, much more competent than I), and more importantly, having something worthy to contribute to the worthy topic. Besides - the "what I plan on doing over the summer vacation" has so been done, so I'm scouring for new material....So - I've given myself a goal to get something out there in a reasonable timeframe.

I'm starting easy right now (with a few QOTD's), and I think I just might have stumbled onto something interesting, so hopefully I can develop it into something useful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Ted Pin (5/9/2008)

@Lynn, but you are already a prolific writer, as evidenced by your contribution to this forum! 😀

Yes and no. Yes I have written a lot on this forum, but I haven't written the things I'd like to. I would like to write an article or two for SSC, I' also alike to write a reference book based on a lack of information in BOL and other books regarding SSIS, I have thoughts about a fiction story...

I'll admit, Jeff Moden has forced me in a post or two to explain things to others that I learned from his posts and articles he has written. I just keep finding excuses (or letting life get in the way... I love reffing youth soccer games!).

Hopefully someday will be soon!

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply