Writing to multiple XL spreadsheets of the same workbook within same workbook

• I need to produce 100s of .xlsx files via the foreach loop from which the dataflow source gets parameter for its sql query.
    I have no problem how to do it if XL file has one spreadhsheet only;
    However, in my case it is 2 spreadsheets. each populated from a different query/different oledb source/
    How can I do that?      there is only one data source, and one xl destination per data flow /

Likes to play Chess

• VoldemarG - Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:21 PM

I need to produce 100s of .xlsx files via the foreach loop from which the dataflow source gets parameter for its sql query.
    I have no problem how to do it if XL file has one spreadhsheet only;
    However, in my case it is 2 spreadsheets. each populated from a different query/different oledb source/
    How can I do that?      there is only one data source, and one xl destination per data flow /

In your data flow set up a second data source and a second data destination that is linked to the 2nd sheet. There is no rule that says there can be only 1 source and 1 destination. Alternatively you could create a 2nd data flow task inside the For Each Loop.

• VoldemarG - Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:21 PM

Then add a second. Like Tim mention, you can have multiple sources and destinations in the same data flow. You don't even need to have the same number of each (I have numerous packages which have several sources and 1 destination or vice versa).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Make sure that you write to the worksheets in series, rather than parallel.
    Excel spreadsheets do not, in my experience, work well with parallel processing.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin - Friday, November 30, 2018 7:19 AM

Make sure that you write to the worksheets in series, rather than parallel.
    Excel spreadsheets do not, in my experience, work well with parallel processing.

I've never actually had this problem, but I've seen plenty of people post about it. I've no idea what I do differently to others, but does make me think that there is something that causes the "bad" behaviour.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, November 30, 2018 7:31 AM

Phil Parkin - Friday, November 30, 2018 7:19 AM

Make sure that you write to the worksheets in series, rather than parallel.

I've never actually had this problem, but I've seen plenty of people post about it. I've no idea what I do differently to others, but does make me think that there is something that causes the "bad" behaviour.

Interesting. I've actually corrupted Excel spreadsheets just by attempting to read from them in parallel, so I am very careful about this now.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin - Friday, November 30, 2018 7:40 AM

Interesting. I've actually corrupted Excel spreadsheets just by attempting to read from them in parallel, so I am very careful about this now.

Really odd. I have a package that actually reads 5 different sheets (1 of them twice) all at the same time and never had the issue. I feel like this might be something to investigate at some time to see if I can corrupt the file and see what I had to do to do it.

Maybe it's because, at least in that package, I'm using 5 script tasks to read the file and one Excel Data source... :/

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, November 30, 2018 7:54 AM

Phil Parkin - Friday, November 30, 2018 7:40 AM

Really odd. I have a package that actually reads 5 different sheets (1 of them twice) all at the same time and never had the issue. I feel like this might be something to investigate at some time to see if I can corrupt the file and see what I had to do to do it.

Maybe it's because, at least in that package, I'm using 5 script tasks to read the file and one Excel Data source... :/

I was using multiple data sources, as far as I can remember. Take a file copy before you try that out!

• and if i use 2  OLEDB sources and 2 XL destinations in same Data Flow, would it then always process in parallel?
    How can I make it sequential?

Likes to play Chess

• VoldemarG - Friday, November 30, 2018 8:09 AM

and if i use 2  OLEDB sources and 2 XL destinations in same Data Flow, would it then always process in parallel?
    How can I make it sequential?

Use two data flows and link them with a precedence constraint.

• DO you think it is better to start doing it via a SCRIPT task right away?
    because neither one of the attached scenarios works.
    When i disable one data flow in a loop, each dataflow by itself works.
    but if i try to exec both data flows (one for each spreadhsseet within workbook), it fails. attached.

Likes to play Chess

• VoldemarG - Saturday, December 1, 2018 11:06 AM

DO you think it is better to start doing it via a SCRIPT task right away?
    but if i try to exec both data flows (one for each spreadhsseet within workbook), it fails. attached.

I've asked this in other topics, but just to repeat myself: Please don't upload word documents with the contents of your questions; but the context of your question/answer in your reply please. Users are less likely to download your file, and thus less likely to be able to offer an answer.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• VoldemarG - Saturday, December 1, 2018 11:06 AM

DO you think it is better to start doing it via a SCRIPT task right away?

If I told you that my car "doesn't work" , would you be able to suggest how to fix it?

• So scripting tasks is my best bet to write to multiple spreadsheets of same workbook within ForEarchLoop?

Likes to play Chess

• The problem I cannot overcome is that my output XL file name is built in the COPY G5 template task, the task that assigns name to output XL  file (and then xl file path on xl conn mgr is set to that variable)  based on a current value obtained within the for each loop.  IF I create a bunch of XL files in the loop like with one dataflow, then another data flow simply does not know what file name to write to (second spreadsheet of each file must be written to from a different query…).
    But if I add another CopyTemplate for the second data flow then the first spreadsheet will be blank (new template copied …)  and the second one normally written to.  How can I overcome that ?   (attached).

Likes to play Chess

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply