Writing to Excel in specific format

• Hi,

We have a daily report in our environment which we generate and email through SSRS. Now recently, we added few more environment and they are not running SSRS on them.

The problem is that in order to write the report in the same format (which has server wise details and couple of work sheets) SSIS (and other alternatives) seems to be unusual.

Our format of the report is fixed so that we can use the file as a template but I am not sure how to force the data (from SSIS) to write in a specific cell of the excel sheet.

Can somebody suggest any direction or any other alternatives?

-Forum Etiquette: How to post Performance Problems[/url]

-Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code to get the best help [/url]

• Vishal Singh (9/28/2010)

Hi,

We have a daily report in our environment which we generate and email through SSRS. Now recently, we added few more environment and they are not running SSRS on them.

The problem is that in order to write the report in the same format (which has server wise details and couple of work sheets) SSIS (and other alternatives) seems to be unusual.

Our format of the report is fixed so that we can use the file as a template but I am not sure how to force the data (from SSIS) to write in a specific cell of the excel sheet.

Vishal,

Once I had faced a similar issue..there I had created specific named regions in Excel and used Exec SQL task to push data to Excel...The approach should be similar in this case also...

But..what i do not understand is that this is the case of subscription wherein the reports are preprocessed at server and sent to the subscribers...am i correct in understanding the problem

Raunak J

• Raunak Jhawar (9/28/2010)

Vishal Singh (9/28/2010)

Hi,

Vishal,

Once I had faced a similar issue..there I had created specific named regions in Excel and used Exec SQL task to push data to Excel...The approach should be similar in this case also...

But..what i do not understand is that this is the case of subscription wherein the reports are preprocessed at server and sent to the subscribers...am i correct in understanding the problem

Yes, in SSRS reports are pre-processed and sent to the subscriber.

• Vishal Singh (9/28/2010)

Raunak Jhawar (9/28/2010)

Vishal Singh (9/28/2010)

Hi,

Vishal,

Yes, in SSRS reports are pre-processed and sent to the subscriber.

Can you shed some light as how you did that in your case..like creating named regions in excel..?

• Yaar Vishal,

SQLServerCentral ke kisi article mein hai...I'm not sure about the name but it's posted in this site...

Raunak J

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply