write to SQL Server job history log from ps script

• Hi,

I have implemented a powershell agent job step. The step has to fail on a certain condition, that is coded like

if ($LastExitCode -gt 0) { throw 'My Personal Error Message' }

It works fine but the error message is not being written to the job history log. How can I achieve that?

• I think it very much depends on what you are doing. But I have one running that does throw the error into the log. The code was taken from Chad Millers blog to get sql connectivity.

http://chadwickmiller.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!EA42395138308430!210.entry

The code is pretty simple.

# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

### <Script>

### <Author>

### Chad Miller

### </Author>

### <Description>

### Verifies Sql connectivity and writes successful conenction to stdout and

### failed connections to stderr. Script is useful when combined with other

### scripts which would otherwise produce a terminating error on connectivity

### </Description>

### <Usage>

### Get-Content ./servers.txt | ./Test-SqlConn.ps1

### </Usage>

### </Script>

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

foreach ($i in $input) {

$connectionString = "Data Source=$i;Integrated Security=true;Initial Catalog=master;Connect Timeout=30;"

$sqlConn = new-object ("Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection") $connectionString

# trap {Write-Error "Cannot connect to $i.";continue} $sqlConn.Open()

trap {Write-Error "Cannot connect to $i."} $sqlConn.Open()

if ($sqlConn.State -eq 'Open') {$sqlConn.Close();$i}

}

This file is saves as a powershell script named test-sqlconn.ps1 and you call it using the following code and passing in a servers.txt file with a list of servers you want to check for connectivity

Get-Content ./servers.txt | ./Test-SqlConn.ps1

I have this running in a SQL Job powershell step and it does throw the error correctly to the history as you are looking for (with some other stuff...).

I am not sure how your code is being called but I believe there are only certain circumstances where this will be written to the history tables, but the way I have above definitely does.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply