Would You Pay To Wear Jeans?

• David.Poole (7/17/2015)

I quite like companies running random charity events. I've been to some really good ones that really lifted the spirits and made plenty of cash for the charity involved. Doubly fun because the company (through the staff forum) chose to sponsor a local charity for a year so the cause was personal to the employees.

"Pay to dress down" sounds the sort of thing a particularly dull accountant would copy off their less imaginative acquaintance. It strikes me as one of those ideas that had good intentions but has the capability to do serious harm to employer/employee relations and not make much money for the charity.

Come on people. Post the most fun charity thing your company has done or encouraged employees to do!

We had a 'Kiss the pig' contest, all senior leaders or VP's had a 'bucket' for you to drop money in to see them kiss the pig. It was about a week long event, amounts grew slowly during the week, the last day got fun. So the one with the most money had to kiss the pig so you had those people that had there name at the top of the list dropping some big bucks into other buckets so they would not be number one. Then the kicker was that the person with the most money at the end had the option to match the amount to get out of it. And yes they did bring in a real pig. There have been other events like it, but this one sticks out.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• Naveen PK (7/17/2015)

In USA, I worked at different client locations. My general perception is that more of west coast companies allow to wear casuals and more of east coast companies have formal dress code. I dont know about central America 🙂

The only fully business dress job I had was working for a Native American tribe. I was required to wear a full suit and tie. Of course, I had the office next to the Governor of that tribe. So, I had all sorts of formal meeting occurring and government officials coming in and out.

On the other hand, the only casual dress attire I've ever had was the job right before that. We could wear whatever we wanted, so long as it wasn't inappropriate. If we went on-site with at a customer, we were expected to dress professionally though.

Those were both in the central United States. I'm now in the southeastern United States. Here, I've never had a job that allowed totally casual dress. But, I've also not had one that required totally business dress either.

But, I agree. I have noticed that (in general) the professional culture in a place like California is much more laid-back than say the midwest or east coast. For some reason, certain places and/or companies see image as everything. Perception overrides reality.

But the way I see it, in IT you're often behind a keycard or combo locked door where the general public will never see you when you're a programmer or DBA. Shouldn't make much difference if you wear a golf knit or button-down dress shirt, and dressing how your comfortable I would think makes workers more productive.

Then again, I'm not in management...so what do I know...right? :laugh:

• I think sometimes the companies' don't even care if you are more productive. The bosses became bosses because they wanted the power to set the rules. If they can't set rules like this they feel either their power is wasted or they aren't doing their job. Same thing why the EU has stupid rules like maximum curvature of bananas: if we don't set rules: people might just do anything 😉

• The dress code where I work is dress down everyday -- it's not uncommon to see shorts and sandals any day of the year.

When I read the editorial it wasn't clear to me what the proposal was -- is the company paying? or the employee? I had to read the replies to be clear that the company was strong-arming employees to donate.

I would not hesitate to participate (were I at another company) if THE COMPANY paid the donation to encourage people to dress casually. I would NEVER participate in such a program if I was expected to donate. I am happy to give to charities, but not under those circumstances.

• mike.gallamore (7/17/2015)

I think sometimes the companies' don't even care if you are more productive. The bosses became bosses because they wanted the power to set the rules.

Speaking personally I became a boss to pay a mortgage and make sure my kids would have the opportunity to go to university. I'd much prefer a technical hands on role. As a boss I have to make the distinguish between empathy and sympathy so I can make an objective judgement about a situation I'd avoid like plague given the choice.

• mike.gallamore (7/17/2015)

I think sometimes the companies' don't even care if you are more productive. The bosses became bosses because they wanted the power to set the rules. If they can't set rules like this they feel either their power is wasted or they aren't doing their job. Same thing why the EU has stupid rules like maximum curvature of bananas: if we don't set rules: people might just do anything 😉

I was a boss once. Ran a computer section. I was 27. I didn't set the dress code. HR and the Executive Director did that.

As far as I was concerned as the boss, I told my staff...as long as it's clean, doesn't stink, isn't worn through or see-through and looks appropriate to wear in public...I had no issue. If we had a meeting, I let the staff know in advance if they should dress up for it.

I wasn't a power monger. If I felt someone on my staff was acting inappropriately, I would talk to them away from the others. But, I didn't have to do that. My staff was polite, hard working, and sensible.

I think a lot of the problem isn't with the managers or supervisors...but, with executive level persons and HR's need to protect an employer from "risk". Quite often, as I've said elsewhere, situations/companies/people often feel perception is everything and expect that dressing the part makes people think you are top flight. That old saying: "First impressions are everything". BTW, it's quite antiquated.

I'm of the other opinion. Show me your skills, and I know you're good at what you do and a tech professional.

As for EU rules...well, their consumer protection laws (although some may be a bit out there) are a lot better than what the United States has in a lot of cases. It takes an act of Congress just to get government agencies to decide who is going to pursue legal action against a company whose product did public harm.

They might be screwy in the EU, but at least you have something that is proactive.:cool:

• I agree that individual should feel comfortable irrespective of formal or casual wear.

Thanks,
    Naveen.
    Every thought is a cause and every condition an effect

• That is very funny SQL. Million likes to below86 :-):-)

Thanks,
    Naveen.
    Every thought is a cause and every condition an effect

• Naveen PK (7/17/2015)

That is very funny SQL. Million likes to below86 :-):-)

Thanks and glad you liked it. 🙂

• I'm just amazed. Being a scandinavian I've never even heard about anything like this.

To my knowledge you can come dressed as you like to almost most jobs in the IT industry here. Exceptions being client meetings and stuff like that. But donating money to earn a day or more right to come casual dressed to work? wow... 🙂

I guess this is yet another cultural difference.

• A previous employer's management insisted on business dress because our (non customer facing) offices were in the central business district and management's (unsubstantiated) theory was that if employees were seen in anything other than business dress, it would bring the company's name into disrepute. They tried introducing the occasional causal Friday where our payments for the privilege would go to a charity of the company's choice. I was not the only one who protested by refusing to wear casual when they graciously allowed it. The charity of course was the loser, as was the company's desire for staff 'engagement'.

To answer the original question: would I pay to wear jeans? Possibly, if payment went to a charity I support and if I didn't suspect it was a cynical move on the company's part to get some good PR and/or try to make the staff happier in a way which didn't cost them anything. That particular company failed to tick either of those boxes.

• A former colleague opined that a suit is easy, so you don't need to make a decision about what to wear. I've worked in different countries and it's only in the English speaking ones, where people make a big deal out of the dress code and deviating from it. We also hear about companies like Google etc, where the code seems to be whatever makes you comfortable on the basis that if you are comfortable you are more productive. An admirable sentiment IMHO

• apologies posted twice

• I hate it. All it does it highlight who has the funds to do it and who doesn't, creating a money-class at work.

• Iwas Bornready (7/28/2015)

I hate it. All it does it highlight who has the funds to do it and who doesn't, creating a money-class at work.

Not necessarily, I know a lot of people here who don't give, and as far as I know no one judges them, but there are also a lot of people that do give money to the cause, but then never wear jeans because they feel more comfortable in khakis. So you really never know who gave and who didn't. We also have several people who will just plain forget that they could wear jeans on that given day.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply