Would You Do Your Hobby for a Living

• My man and I race sailing dinghies and are especially involved with keeping old ones racing and the Classic and Vintage Racing Dinghy Association for which I'm the webmistress. That's got me into such topics as php and mySQL and now WordPress all of which make a change from the SQL Server and ASP.NET that pays me and all the other languages I've done over the past 30 years.

I'm also in the process of getting my RYA Race Officer ticket which involves an exam (passed) and varied experience running dinghy races from local club to national championships. My career ambition is to be able to afford to retire so I can do more. Race officering doesn't get paid, just expenses, but I'd love to be part of a race officer's team at the Weymouth sailing events for Olympics 2012!

• My hobby is/was Mountain Biking, preferably deep in the mountains where signs of society are few and far between. It's my escape and since the wee man arrived I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like... but I forgive him that really, as he's so much fun to be with... he gets his first bike next month on his 3rd birthday.

Doing it for a living is but a pipe dream, but oh yes, if it could sustain my family, I'd leave the city in a flash.

• Very Interesting dabate just got started! Cheers Andy!

Well, mine is playing guitar, even sometimes when i'm hitting the bottom rock of some db with findings of very high logical reads, there is some progression going on in my mind. (May be 'All along the watch tower or something 🙂 )

But i don't want to make my hobby for living, i don't want to make it like "I have to do", as 'I love to do it'.

But who knows may be i'll be next Michael Hegdes (th'n ill think about it 😉 )

Programming is my another passion but I'm not as much crazy about it as the 1st one.

• Programming is my hobby as I enjoy the mental stimulation as well as the joy of problem solving (of course it also has frustration in equal measure).

Up until 20 years ago I was a motor mechanic but decided to change careers to developing software. I now write software in C# for a living and still continue coding in my spare time.

I feel I'm very lucky that I get paid for something that I thoroughly enjoy.

• Hmmm... motorbike courier anyone? 🙂

Pick me up a pizza from Milan and deliver it to my work in Birmingham England for my lunch on Tuesday please? I'll pay you $5,000 - but it's got to be fresh hot, not just warmed up! :hehe:

My hobby is photography and I do try to make a bit of money out of it as well but it's great that when I just can't be bothered I can still pay my bills from my SQL based job.

At the end of the day I'm a very lazy photographer, and will often just watch TV or listen to music rather than do something useful/pretty with my camera.

Isn't that what a hobby is supposed to be; something you can do whenever you would like to, but don't HAVE to do.

What's important in life (and most people dont realise this) is you need to satisfy both your left and right brain.

i.e. your creative side and your analytical side.

If you love your SQL/Programming job but feel like theres something missing, make sure you take time out to do something creative.

When I feel like theres something missing in my life, I know I've been watching too much TV... 🙂

- Gav B.

Google Left/Right Brain:

• RC Helicopters. Yes, I would put down programming and never ever ever look back if I could.

• I work with a non-profit as my hobby. We are truly non-profit in every sense of the word. If I could, I would do non-profit work for a living. However, without my living, I couldn't afford my "hobby". 🙂

Cindy

• CavyPrincess (5/28/2010)

I work with a non-profit as my hobby. We are truly non-profit in every sense of the word. If I could, I would do non-profit work for a living. However, without my living, I couldn't afford my "hobby". 🙂

Cindy

Yes jobs are done to enable hobbies (fun stuff) to be possible.

Work to live, don't live to work !

- Gav B.

• I thought I would be the only one to say that being a database developer is both my hobby and job! I tinkered with databases in my previous career and swore when I grew tired of that line of work I would work with databases. Like most of you, I just can't see myself doing anything else. And, by the way, Happy Dougnut Day! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut_day)

• I do in fact. Computer programming has been a hobby since 1982, and a career since 1988. My compiler/assembler has been my favorite toy all these years.:-)

• I am truly passionate about golf, and I would give up my career in a heartbeat to play on the PGA tour and enjoy all the things that go along with being a professional golfer. Even if it became a grind I could escape by indulging in my other hobbies like writing music, playing guitar, and everything related to IT.

Actually, I was a member of the PGA tour once, but that ended as soon as I woke up 😉

• Riding my bicycle is my favorite hobby. I think if I did it for work then I'd have to find another hobby.

• I was fortunate enough to actually take my work and my hobby and switch them 15 years ago. I was homebuilder that did programming as a hobby. Started on the Commodore 64, wrote program to manage a bowling league, a print screen utility, other items that I used. Then migrated to a PC and Visual Basic, rewrote the bowling league app to use Access 2.0 instead of a file structure.

Decided I wanted to do networking for a living and went back to school for two years. Ended up with two degrees after a teacher told me I was stupid to be in networking, I was too good of a programmer. So 15 years later, I am the intranet developor for my day job.

But my hobby is pretty much anything that uses my hands. Wood working, working on vehicles, ( I am currently restoring a 1947 Willys CJ2A), metal working... But I do like to take my Jeep off road. And go see blues bands.

My ideal plan is that when I 'retire', I will go back to working with my hands and build furniture. Make enough pieces a year to fund extra curriculars (like off roading and music) then call it a quits, for that year.

Jay

• I do community theater - at least I did before I had a child. I really like it because it's fun but also because it's way out of my comfort zone. I'm extremely confidant working on problems of logic, but much less so working on a funny character. For that reason (and because I don't think I'm that great at it) I'd never want act for my job. Too much stress. But it's a fun hobby.

• My hobby is teaching martial arts, however, I don't think I would do it for a living because that would require many more students. I prefer smaller class sizes. I use to sail (Sunfish and Highlander) and would love to take that up again, but not sure it will happen anytime soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply