Working in Smaller Teams

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Working in Smaller Teams

• It's definitely harder to manage and you get less per person in my experience once you exceed 5 or 6 people per team - at least in terms of active, full time contributors to any project. That said we're generally so stretched that we'll never get the chance to find out...

• Per your last paragraph:

"It constantly surprises me how often I find managers and their organizational culture built to control and not inspire employees to do their best. I think it's a holdover of years of working a certain way, rather than supporting and encouraging each person supervising others to get the best from others. I hope this changes, but it's certainly something I try to detect in interviews before I ever commit to a new position."

I think this is a carryover from the the style of manufacturing management where everything was done on a strict schedule because of the nature of assembly line work.   Although some manufacturers are trying to adopt newer methods an continuous improvement which encourages employees to speak up where they can see opportunities for improvement.  This can be very hard on some baby boomers who still subscribe to top-down management principles.

• I've found that bigger teams require Leads to represent the group or else Stand Up takes a long time. You're right that management is very hard, especially in IT. I've had the very good fortune of having a great in my most recent position. It makes all the difference in the world. He is following the approach for our IT department of SLII (or SL2), which they actually try to do, rather than just lip service. Way cool.

• An Old Idiom "Too many Cooks Spoil the Broth"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply