Working abroad - From South Africa

• Hi All

I am a South African DBA.

I have been playing around with the idea of working abroad.

Has anyone from this side taken this plunge before?

How hard was it to get in?

What process should I be following?

Thanks

• As in moving to another country and working there? Or staying at home and working for companies/clients overseas?

If the former, then the first thing you need to consider is how to get a work permit for the country.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/6/2016)

As in moving to another country and working there? Or staying at home and working for companies/clients overseas?

If the former, then the first thing you need to consider is how to get a work permit for the country.

Thanks

Moving to another country...

• I guess it depends which country you'd like to work in. Did you have somewhere specific in mind?

I haven't done it but I've researched it a bit (and don't have the guts to take the plunge...I'm still young). First step would be to look at the work visas and requirements, work out how much you need to have saved up for visas, healthcare, moving, and living costs. Consider a few different countries, and once you've found a route that works for you it might be worth visiting the country to make sure you like it! Also thoroughly research the job market in the area you're intending on moving to, maybe get in touch with some recruitment consultants on LinkedIn/via e-mail.

• Then the first thing you need to do is review the immigration laws of that country you want to move to, what is required to get a work permit there, or if you're thinking longer term, even permanent residence.

You'll probably need to get an employer in the country you want to move to to motivate for a visa or to have a minimum education level and skills which are in short supply in that country

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply