Windows Server 2012 R2 cluster

• All,

I'm trying to create a Windows Cluster so I can setup an availability group. It is just a test environment. I am running two VM's on VMWare Workstation. Server 1 is the domain controller, server 2 is joined to the domain.

When I try to add the second node to the cluster it fails and the event logs show:

'Exception in the InstallState is fatal (status = 1387)'

I haven't been able to find anything useful online. Does anyone know the cause of the error?

Thanks

• Did Cluster Validation show any Errors or Warnings?

• Thanks for your help.

I've just re-run the validation and it warns of:

The fact that there is only one network card in each host. I doubt that's the cause of the issue as I've created a cluster in this situation before.

It couldn't check the file or disk systems because I didn't include any in the cluster. This is correct, I didn't.

The two servers are in different sections in the Active Directory. Server 2 is in the 'computers' section of the AD and server 1 is in the 'domain controllers' section. Could this be the cause? Sorry I overlooked this when I ran the validation the first time prior to my original post. I appreciate it's probably not a normal setup to run a cluster using a DC host and domain member, perhaps it's unrealistic to do so even in a test setup? I was trying to avoid creating a third host as I don't really have enough spare memory on the test system host.

If I've made a mistake in the setup it's likely to be in the domain configuration as that is where I have the least knowledge. I just used the wizards to setup the domain and DNS on server 1 and joined server 2 to the domain. I know that server 2 is using the DNS from server 1 successfully.

• An update in case it helps anyone else. I created a third host and I was able to create a cluster between server 2 and 3. I'm not sure what the issue is with server 1, perhaps the fact that it's a domain controller. If I work it out I'll post again in case it helps others.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply