Windows License YIKES

• Bad news: my take on this was just confirmed by a colleague in a call with MS. If you have SQL Server running on Windows 2003 Server, then an OS CAL is required for any authenticated user accessing the SQL server data (no matter the details of how the authentication is accomplished)

(I am NOT an expert in this area, so if you feel that this might or might not apply to you, please verify my findings yourself.)

• It's normally easiest to license by processor, then you don't need cals. You can't cal an internet app, that's what proc licenses are for.

sounds to me like you're all going round and round in circles, including microsoft!!!

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• sorry I was going to add, you have to license the o/s that sql server runs on, you always have, it's never come free, ever. I don't see what the confusion is.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• The confusion is that between Windows 2000 and 2003, they changed the policy about what consitiutes "authentication" kicking in the OS CAL requirement. The OS license itself was always required, as you say. But Windows operating system CALs, which I believe were not required before unless you used NT authentication or some specific other types of authentication, are now required for ANY authenticated user, no matter what method of authentication. If you "know" that person out there who is handing you any form of username/password to access any aspect of the machine, then that person (or device) needs to be covered by a CAL. Even if you are multiplexing (old news) and even if the person is connecting by your own home-grown authentication method to your very own custom-written application.

E.G. If you WRITE a service yourself and install it, and it has a login/password function, you need OS CALs of some kind for any user of that service.

• Not true.  Go to this site: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/sqlserverlicensing.mspx

Download the SQLServer2005Licensingv1.1.doc

This is what it says regarding Per Processor:

SQL SERVER 2005 Processor LicensING

Microsoft offers a processor-based licensing model to help alleviate complexity. Processor licenses can be used for any type of application (not limited to Web-based scenarios).

Processor License. A Processor License is required for each processor installed on each operating system environment running SQL Server or any of its components (for example, Analysis Services). It includes access for an unlimited number of users or devices to connect from either inside or outside the firewall. Customers do not need to purchase additional Server Licenses or client access licenses (CALs) when licensed under the per processor model.

Processor licenses are available in Enterprise, Standard, and Workgroup Editions and offer more simplicity for certain scenarios.

• Thank you for your efforts to help me out. I appreciate it.

I thought so too, and had read that very document, but when pressed for details, both our VAR and a Microsoft representative indicated that the paragraph cited refers to SQL Server User CALs, not Windows operating system CALs. That is, it should be written thus:

"A Processor License is required for each processor installed on each operating system environment running SQL Server or any of its components (for example, Analysis Services). It includes access for an unlimited number of users or devices to connect from either inside or outside the firewall. Customers do not need to purchase additional (SQL) Server Licenses or (SQL) client access licenses (CALs) when licensed under the per processor model."

I so hope you are right and they are wrong. But I am worried. It's not truly clear from the text whether the CALs mentioned are OS CALs or not; their interpretation is that from the context (a document on SQL Server) it's inferred that those terms mean SQL Server CALs, not Windows CALs. And they hold all cards in this game.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply