Windows 2003 SP2 is NOT a supported OS for SQL 2005 SP2???

• Maybe this is just an oversight in the documentation? Here it is for all to see on the download page for SQL 2005 SP2:

http://tinyurl.com/35nunk

Note the supported operating systems:

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1; Windows Vista; Windows XP Service Pack 2

NO mention of Windows 2003 Service Pack 2, but Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 is specifically mentioned.

Any ideas on this one? Thanks!

Chris

• My release engineer downloaded Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 onto a SQL Server 2005 SP1 box.  Since then the windows server would hang completely.  Meaning you could not even get control through the consolse.  After performing a cold boot, there is nothing in the Event logs, etc...

This led me to believe there are issues with R2 SP2 but  this is the first posting I've seen anywhere regardin this.

• I'm running SQL Server 2005 SP2 on serveral Windows 2003 servers with SP2 installed, and I haven't had any issues with it so far. I'm not running the R2 version of Windows Server 2003 so I don't know if there is an issue with that or not.

Jason

• I have one of my development boxes running SQL Server 2005 SP2 with windows server 2003 sp2 and have encountered no problems.

My patch was applied to a 2003 sp 1 box we never really rolled out r2 so I've not got any r2 boxes to patch with sp2 so I'm the same as Jason I don't know if there is specific issue with the sp2 patch on r2.

David

• Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I posted to the msdn forums about this, and I got a reply back stating that Windows 2003 SP2 is supported and has been tested by Microsoft. However, this was posted by someone with a hotmail account, and I was unable to verify whether they were an actual Microsoft employee or not, so YMMV.

Chris

• Windows 2003 R2 SP2 and sql 2005 sp2 Tested in our environment and found working without any problem.

• Since there was another post recently about Windows 2003 SP2 and SQL 2005 SP2 working well together, I'm starting to feel a little better about it.

However, there is still nothing official from Microsoft on this. Look at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx. No mention of Windows 2003 SP2 being a supported operating system.

Does anyone out there know how we can get an official reply out of Microsoft! This is just crazy that it's taken this long and still nothing from them.

Thanks again.

Chris

• I need to install both Windows 2003 SP2 and SQL 2005 SP2 - any ideas on which should go on first?

• I have the problem, when I run the DBCC CHECKDB hang up the server. This however only each second time. It seems to me that we have problem with the SQL already 2005 still another that for the moment nobody can solve. Already directly contact had with Microsoft. In addition, could not help.

Now i have disabled the Job (DBCC CHECKDB)

My System is a Windows 2003 SBS Server R2 with SQL 2005 SP2

• I have run W2003 R2 SP2 with SQL Server 2005 SP2 in 32-bit and 64-bit without problems.  I have also tried SQL Server 2008 on 64-bit W2003 R2 SP2 and that seems OK also.

If you are applying maintenance to both products in a small timeframe, I suggest you do Windows first.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply