Why Sql server?

• Hi

We need to choose our database server.

Everyone suggests different servers. They are putting various arguments to support their thoughts.

Sql Server

Mysql

Oracle

My questions

1. Is it true that Sql server is more secure than Oracle and Mysql as microsoft claims?

2. Oracle is costlier than Mysql?

3. Mysql doesnt support High availability solutions. also disaster recovery solutions are hard to implement. Is it true?

4. Oracle dataguard is costlier for implementing DR solutions and sql server gives it for free. Is it true?

5. Oracle servers mostly fails in windows environment. it works great in UNIX environment.

6. Oracle has many tools for database administration. It eases DBA's Roles.

7. Sql server has better business intelligence support than oracle

8. And one person said, Sql server has microsoft office integration. I ever heard of office integration in sql server. Actually what is it?

9. After the introduction of Resource Governor, Server administration becomes simpler in Sql server. Do oracle/mysql has anything similar to that? also do server administration becomes simpler after Resource Governer?

10. Server administration is very complex in oracle but very effective than any other servers. Oracles Dba's are white horses. Its not easy to hire one good oracle DBA. is it true?

11. Sql server has bad partitioning technique. Thats the reason they changed the partitioning logic from 2005 to 2008. Is it true sql server changed their partitioning logic from 2005 to 2008? Is 2008 partitioning logic is effective than oracles/my sqls partitioning logic?

12. Oracle/mysql is stable. Sql server is not that stable. Sql server always releases patches frequently. And before resolving their bugs, they move to next version. Is it true?

I am confused on all this arguments.

Please help me.

Regards

VMSSanthosh

• Wow... I don't see any way of answering any of these questions directly or satisfactorily. They all seem to fall under the global response, 'It depends.'

--SJTerrill--

• hi

I am also in the same situation.

Finally one question solves the problem. Which is cheaper and cost effective?

Regards

VMSSanthosh

• Which application (or applications) do you want to run on it? if its provided by a vendor, then you will have to go with what they support for a specific product.

If it is something for development of in house applications, you will need to consider your ability to deploy, manage and support whatever platform you decide to implement - bearing in mind that you will need to consider the platform the main application (as well as the database) needs - eg web servers, application servers etc.

John

• hi john,

I cannot say it as a in house application. But soon it will become a inhouse application for our company. But, its the first s/w application which we are gonna deliver to a external client. But it has a big scope. Since its a financial service application, we are researching to choose a better sever and cost effective.

We are first focusing on Stability and reliability.

• hi

Can somebody put their ideas or views on this post?

Regards

VMSSanthosh

• 1. Is it true that Sql server is more secure than Oracle and Mysql as microsoft claims?

oracle on a unix platform is inherenty more secure but this depends on what additional measures are taken.

SQl does is good job but there is no replacment for a good network security setup such as LDAp Firewalls etc.

2. Oracle is costlier than Mysql?

Dont know

3. Mysql doesnt support High availability solutions. also disaster recovery solutions are hard to implement. Is it true?

False , it supports cluster and replication

4. Oracle dataguard is costlier for implementing DR solutions and sql server gives it for free. Is it true?

Dont know

5. Oracle servers mostly fails in windows environment. it works great in UNIX environment.

They do not fail , but there are support issues based on the OS compatibility as well as the fact that oracle DBE is known to perform better for a UNIX enviornment.

6. Oracle has many tools for database administration. It eases DBA's Roles.

Not really true , there are a number of vendor who provide tools for SQL DB management. Oracle tools however have a learning curve.

7. Sql server has better business intelligence support than oracle.

Really depends on what your trying to achieve.

8. And one person said, Sql server has microsoft office integration. I ever heard of office integration in sql server. Actually what is it?

Sharepoint integration is probably what was implied.Office integartion has been available for sometime now , basically cube and be connected to via execl etc but not really the way to go.

9. After the introduction of Resource Governor, Server administration becomes simpler in Sql server. Do oracle/mysql has anything similar to that? also do server administration becomes simpler after Resource Governer?

Resource governor is meant to define the boundaries under which sql is to manage shared resource. Administration is still required to make sure the correct boundaries are set and this is the same for Oracle. resource governor doesn't mean you can stop managing the server.

10. Server administration is very complex in oracle but very effective than any other servers. Oracles Dba's are white horses. Its not easy to hire one good oracle DBA. is it true?

A good DBA is hard to find regardless of the technology , DBAs are made out of experience.

11. Sql server has bad partitioning technique. Thats the reason they changed the partitioning logic from 2005 to 2008. Is it true sql server changed their partitioning logic from 2005 to 2008? Is 2008 partitioning logic is effective than oracles/my sqls partitioning logic?

Need to look this up

12. Oracle/mysql is stable. Sql server is not that stable. Sql server always releases patches frequently. And before resolving their bugs, they move to next version. Is it true?

Releasing patches is not a bad thing , the fact that they come out means there are fixes being provided. Most patch can be applied without bringing down the server. in live environments there are a number of ways patch are applied ,a good dba can give details depending on the setup.

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply