Why do I need Enterprise version for R

• The company I work for doesn't have the budget for enterprise licensing but earlier I was told to find some info on R. We have standard version of SQL Server 2016 and it does come with R but I am not sure what comes with Enterprise edition then. I have maybe less than 5% of knowledge about what R is and I just started watching R related videos on udemy and I was able to successfully install R on my local machine. Again the confusion, why do I need enterprise version of SQL Server for R language. Please advise?

• newdba2017 - Thursday, August 3, 2017 11:42 AM

The company I work for doesn't have the budget for enterprise licensing but earlier I was told to find some info on R. We have standard version of SQL Server 2016 and it does come with R but I am not sure what comes with Enterprise edition then. I have maybe less than 5% of knowledge about what R is and I just started watching R related videos on udemy and I was able to successfully install R on my local machine. Again the confusion, why do I need enterprise version of SQL Server for R language. Please advise?

It would depend on how your company would like to use R. The different editions support different levels of integration with R. What the delineation is between basic support and advanced support, I don't really know. This link has the differences between the different editions:
    Editions and supported features of SQL Server 2016

And then there are also other options where SQL Server is the data source for other tools to use with R. So you'd probably want to research that as well. If you search on: R language and SQL Server 2008, you can find some of the other options.

Sue

• newdba2017 - Thursday, August 3, 2017 11:42 AM

Again the confusion, why do I need enterprise version of SQL Server for R language. Please advise?

You don't. R is open source, free to download. You can get it and use it without even needing SQL

What you need SQL Enterprise edition for is R Server, the high-end scale server-version of R that's useful if you're doing high speed analysis of large volumes of data on a regular basis.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Useful forum post discussing the differences between Basic Integration (Standard Edition) and Advanced Integration (Enteprise Edition) for Microsoft R Services (In-Database)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41062767/editions-and-supported-features-for-sql-server-2016

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply