Who Watches the Watchers?

• Julie Breutzmann (12/7/2009)

Particularly in an economy where jobs are scarce, it could a tough situation for some. I hope I never have to chose whether my integrity or my livelihood is more important.

Julie

As for me, I know my choice.

Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once. - William Shakespeare

Perhaps more to the point is the text..

Honor Super Omnia-
    Jason Miller

• I believe I would chose my integrity also. But until one is actually in that position, one can't be absolutely certain.

• Good for you GSquared. What does it profit a man to gain the whole world, if he loses his soul, or injures it?

Or, if you want to be mercenary about it, for a DBA, integrity may even be marketable.

Mark Dalley

• So many times, in so many circumstances I could have abused the access that I have had. I am not alone. Fortunately, I have rarely come across an individual who would do anything approaching theft or destruction. The worst offenders I have known have "taken a peek" at data.

Our industry is built on trust. Why else would you hear on a regular basis that immortal phrase of "No one should have this access but if you...".

I like that I work with, and in a community of, people with integrity. Even those rare few who I have not entirely got on with have had this level of integrity at the very least. Even when we know "more than we should" we don't let on nor do we act upon the information however we came by it.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• So in response to "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" the answer is often "no one" but the response is "why would we need to?".

(Of course, as an avid Alan Moore reader this is about the only latin I know off by heart ;-))

Gaz

• Ultimately you can never get away from this and it was I believe a question originally proposed by the Romans.

Their conclusion was " promote the idea of everyone guarding themselves "

I think this is why it is good to have checks and balances that are inviable to the particular Guardians to which the checks relate. A kind of rock paper stone approach to balance power. So Guardians are guarded by other Guardians in a recursive fashion a bit like M C Escher drawing of the eternal square staircase.

Even though you might get a Guardian who does not abuse his power who is to say that the next guardian will abuse his position. Rock Paper Stone approach allows for appropriate power to balance things out if one or other gets fraudulent which otherwise tends to happen eventually.

• Talk about article timing. Have any of you seen this?

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/09/home-depots-former-security-architect-had-history-of-techno-sabotage/[/url]

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Working in healthcare tech, this cuts to the core of my struggles with HIPAA compliance. The legislation requires you to log every access of "sensitive patient information" which includes names, birthdates, and SSNs of patients in the database. So every screen in the UI of the EMR or billing system that shows that information has to be logging the user and timestamp that it was accessed. Every report that you generate also has to have a list kept of the patient accounts returned and the user that ran it.

...but I'm writing the logic to audit all this. Which means I have to be looking at these records in SSMS unaudited. Or we have to encrypt everything. But that means a complete rewrite of the software... that we purchased from a third-party.

• In answer to the question Who Watches the Watchers...robots.

The three biggest mistakes in life...thinking that power = freedom, sex = love, and data = information.

• IMHO (10/16/2014)

In answer to the question Who Watches the Watchers...robots.

...CCTV???

Gaz

• Gary Varga (10/16/2014)

IMHO (10/16/2014)

In answer to the question Who Watches the Watchers...robots.

...CCTV???

Max Headroom.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• "Max Headroom"...

Best answer yet.

Bonus points for not saying "the Picard".

The three biggest mistakes in life...thinking that power = freedom, sex = love, and data = information.

• The moral compass of a man should watch over him and keep him right and at peace. However, if one violates their conscience they as a broken wall and no peace can be found within. Thus, who watches the watcher? He who watches is one who sees no value in compromising their conscience and selling their reputation for a pittance. To them it is of higher value to be right and at peace.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Miles Neale (10/16/2014)

The moral compass of a man should watch over him and keep him right and at peace. However, if one violates their conscience they as a broken wall and no peace can be found within. Thus, who watches the watcher? He who watches is one who sees no value in compromising their conscience and selling their reputation for a pittance. To them it is of higher value to be right and at peace.

What he said.

Gaz

• This reminds me of when I was an accidental DBA for a company and was asked to fulfill the external/internal audits for SOX compliance. I was shocked that my external auditors were barely out of college. I could have provided them with a box of Oreos and they wouldn't have known the difference. This was one of the largest financial auditors in the country by the way. The watchers of the watchers sometimes need baby sitters.

Aigle de Guerre!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply