While loop runs forever with no records in cursor object

• Dear Friends,
    I am new to TSQL programming . Need your help in making this SP work. The first test case I am using is 'What happens when the Cursor query returns no records'. Though there is not record returned when by this query ,the SP keeps running without doing anything instead of closing the cursor and exiting. Please advise where the problem is. I've copy pasted the code for the SP below .Thank you in advance.

Though there are no records , the control goes in While loop which keeps running printing the inner PRINT after running the PRINT just before the WHILE once. Please advise why behaves this way

USE [JDE_DEVELOPMENT]

GO/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[ImportInvoices_Validations_CrossQueryCursor] Script Date: 05-Aug-18 12:27:13 PM ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GOSET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[ImportInvoices_ZeroRecords]

WITH EXECUTE AS OWNER

AS/****** Variable Declarations for [F03B11Z1] ******/

DECLARE

@ErrorCode NVARCHAR(40);/********* Cursor definition with outer join of [F03B11Z1] WITH [F0911Z1] ********/

DECLARE Invoices1 CURSOR FOR SELECT * FROM [JDEORIONDV].[PRODDTA].[F03B11Z1] I LEFT OUTER JOIN [JDEORIONDV].[PRODDTA].[F0911Z1] J ON I.VJEDUS = J.VNEDUS AND I.VJEDTN = J.VNEDTN AND I.VJEDLN = J.VNEDLN AND I.VJEDSP = J.VNEDSP AND I.VJEDBT = J.VNEDBT AND I.VJDOC = J.VNDOC AND I.VJDCT = J.VNDCT AND I.VJKCO = J.VNKCO AND I.VJSFX = J.VNSFX AND I.VJEDSP = 0 WHERE I.VJEDSP = 0; BEGIN

OPEN Invoices1

--LOOP UNTIL RECORDS ARE AVAILABLE.

PRINT 'I am just before while';

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

PRINT 'I am in While';

SET @errorcode = '';

CLOSE Invoices1;

DEALLOCATE Invoices1;

END;

GO

• Arsh - Sunday, August 5, 2018 3:43 AM

Dear Friends,
    I am new to TSQL programming . Need your help in making this SP work. The first test case I am using is 'What happens when the Cursor query returns no records'. Though there is not record returned when by this query ,the SP keeps running without doing anything instead of closing the cursor and exiting. Please advise where the problem is. I've copy pasted the code for the SP below .Thank you in advance.

Though there are no records , the control goes in While loop which keeps running printing the inner PRINT after running the PRINT just before the WHILE once. Please advise why behaves this way

USE [JDE_DEVELOPMENT]

GO/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[ImportInvoices_Validations_CrossQueryCursor] Script Date: 05-Aug-18 12:27:13 PM ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GOSET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[ImportInvoices_ZeroRecords]

WITH EXECUTE AS OWNER

AS/****** Variable Declarations for [F03B11Z1] ******/

DECLARE

@ErrorCode NVARCHAR(40);/********* Cursor definition with outer join of [F03B11Z1] WITH [F0911Z1] ********/

DECLARE Invoices1 CURSOR FOR SELECT * FROM [JDEORIONDV].[PRODDTA].[F03B11Z1] I LEFT OUTER JOIN [JDEORIONDV].[PRODDTA].[F0911Z1] J ON I.VJEDUS = J.VNEDUS AND I.VJEDTN = J.VNEDTN AND I.VJEDLN = J.VNEDLN AND I.VJEDSP = J.VNEDSP AND I.VJEDBT = J.VNEDBT AND I.VJDOC = J.VNDOC AND I.VJDCT = J.VNDCT AND I.VJKCO = J.VNKCO AND I.VJSFX = J.VNSFX AND I.VJEDSP = 0 WHERE I.VJEDSP = 0; BEGIN

OPEN Invoices1

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

PRINT 'I am in While';

SET @errorcode = '';

CLOSE Invoices1;

DEALLOCATE Invoices1;

END;

GO

Duplicate post, reply on this thread
    😎

• DECLARE @errorcode NVARCHAR(40);

/********* Cursor definition with outer join of [F03B11Z1] WITH [F0911Z1] ********/
    DECLARE @Col1 int,
       @Col2 nvarchar(5)

DECLARE Invoices1 CURSOR FOR
    SELECT *
    FROM [JDEORIONDV].[PRODDTA].[F03B11Z1] I
    LEFT OUTER JOIN [JDEORIONDV].[PRODDTA].[F0911Z1] J
            ON I.VJEDUS = J.VNEDUS
            AND I.VJEDTN = J.VNEDTN
            AND I.VJEDLN = J.VNEDLN
            AND I.VJEDSP = J.VNEDSP
            AND I.VJEDBT = J.VNEDBT
            AND I.VJDOC = J.VNDOC
            AND I.VJDCT = J.VNDCT
            AND I.VJKCO = J.VNKCO
            AND I.VJSFX = J.VNSFX
            AND I.VJEDSP = 0
    WHERE I.VJEDSP = 0;

OPEN Invoices1
    FETCH NEXT FROM Invoices1 INTO @Col1,@Col2

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0 BEGIN

PRINT 'I am in While';
        -- do something with @Col1, @Col2...
        SET @errorcode = '';
        FETCH NEXT FROM Invoices1 INTO @Col1,@Col2
    END

CLOSE Invoices1;
    DEALLOCATE Invoices1;
    GO

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/language-elements/declare-cursor-transact-sql?view=sql-server-2017

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply