Which is a better way... using DMO or SPs

• Which is a better way to create database and add user logins to it? Should I use Stored Procedures or should I use SQL DMO? I am using ASP 3.0 + SQL 7.0.

Does ASP objects create a burden/load on the server while we use DMO Objects?

Paras Shah

Evision Technologies

Mumbai, India

Paras Shah
    Evision Technologies
    Mumbai, India

• Hi

It all comes down to

a) what your comfortable with

b) where your teams expertise lies, ie. ongoing maintenance

c) simplicity

id go for sp's as Im not a VB guy and ni little about the DMO object model to begin programming in it. Even so, from what ive seens its simple enough. I would like sql*server wizards do most of the work (even profiler to trace your steps) then wrapper em up in a sp and be done with it.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• Team expertise does make a difference. But when you have an expert team what should be the best choice to reduce overheads and make the application much more faster and less memory occupying.

quote:

Hi

It all comes down to

a) what your comfortable with

b) where your teams expertise lies, ie. ongoing maintenance

c) simplicity

id go for sp's as Im not a VB guy and ni little about the DMO object model to begin programming in it. Even so, from what ive seens its simple enough. I would like sql*server wizards do most of the work (even profiler to trace your steps) then wrapper em up in a sp and be done with it.

Cheers

Chris

Paras Shah

Evision Technologies

Mumbai, India

Paras Shah
    Evision Technologies
    Mumbai, India

• I don't think there would be much difference. Using sp's requires no client side support, with DMO you do have to have the supporting libraries on the client. You're not going to see much of a difference in execution speed anyway - you'd have to add a LOT of logins to even care. Optimize what counts, don't sweat the rest.

The advantage of using the sp is simplicity. Pass it a couple parameters, check for bad values, embedded quotes, etc. Using DMO is certainly viable for this, but I think you have to look further before deciding. If all you're doing is adding logins, I think using the sp makes sense. If you're definitely going to use DMO for other operations, then I'd say go with DMO consistently - maintenance programmers will appreciate it.

Andy

• I agree with Andy.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply