Which Default DB?

• If I create 2 different Windows Groups, then add them as logins and give them different default databases, but a Domain user happens to belong to both groups, when they log in, which database would they see by default?

David

• The main thing is that your user will have both groups privilleges and permissions. If one group allows to modify or control particular objects on the particular DBs and the second group denies, then your user will be denied from doing that though the first group grants.

Therefore I think that it doesn't matter which DB he will see after login.

When I tested your question on my sql server I discovered that the login SID is the  main factor to determine wich default DB to open. Group with the smallest SID will take advantage

It took an hour for me to find out that

Hope this helps  

• Hi there,

I had the same error on one of my servers...

I solved it by granting all the groups access to the master db, but with no rights to read or write. Then I set the default db for all the groups to master...

I saw that it doesn't matter to which db or objects the different groups have access to, they had no login problems...

Ons more thing... I only got this problem after moving from Active Directory 2000 to 2003..

Cheers!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply