Where is the AdventureWorks 2008R2 Analysis Services project download?

• I need the 2008R2 version because I want to climb the Stairway to MDX and in Level 1 it says:

Consider working, therefore, with 2008R2, if at all possible: learning the basics of MDX is challenging enough for most that are new to it, without the additional distractions imposed by working with older releases.

In my case it would be newer releases, but the principle applies.

I found projects for later versions at https://github.com/Microsoft/sql-server-samples/releases/tag/adventureworks-analysis-services and I (not knowing anything about designing, deploying and processing a cube) actually managed to deploy and process a cube, but I had to edit the cube XML (basically I commented out some statements that referred to years greater than 2008).

Still, I want to make sure that my setup matches the Stairway exactly. So where can I download the AdventureWorks 2008R2 cube project?

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Hi Test User

You need this link from GitHub

https://github.com/microsoft/sql-server-samples/releases/tag/adventureworks2008r2

• Thanks, Jesus, but that link does not have what I need. That link points directly to various 2008R2 databases. At the top it has this link:

For multidimensional and tabular models, see AdventureWorks for Analysis services. On that page, the project file description does not say which version of AdventureWorks is required:

adventure-works-multidimensional-model-project.zip

A sample Analysis Services multidimensional model project. Requires Visual Studio 2015 with SQL Server Data Tools. To use this sample project, you must install an AdventureWorksDW database as a data source.

adventure-works-multidimensional-model-readme.txt

Instructions to install the AdventureWorksDW2014 multidimensional model from the full database backup, or by using the project.

but everything else, including the readme, refers to 2012 or later.

Adventure-works-multidimensional-model-project.zip is the file that I used and had to modify to make it work with AdventureWorks2008R2.

• Sorry Test User.

You can found this project in the path

\MSFTDBProdSamples\sourceCode\Kilimanjaro_RTM\AdventureWorks 2008R2 Analysis Services Project

of this file in Codeplex Archive:

https://codeplexarchive.blob.core.windows.net/archive/projects/MSFTDBProdSamples/MSFTDBProdSamples.zip

This file is very big and hard to download; I tried some times because its size is 1.85 GB and downloads broke.

Have a nice project...

• Thanks, Jesus. Your searching skills are better than mine. How did you find it?

Anyway, I am downloading it now. It is going to take about another 3 hours. Apparently the download cannot be resumed (why?????)  so I will just have to hope for the best.

• It eventually took 5 hours and 6 minutes. I found the project in a folder sourceCode\sourceCode.zip\Kilimanjaro_RTM\AdventureWorks 2008R2 Analysis Services Project.

It is late now so I will try it tomorrow.

• Unfortunately, with that project I get this error while processing:

OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Invalid object name 'dbo.DimTime'.; 42S02.

My DW2008R2 database has no DimTime but there is a DimDate. I renamed dbo.DimDate to DimTime and processed again. The error this time was:

OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Conversion failed when converting the varchar value 'FY ' to data type smallint.; 22018.

Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while the dimension, with the ID of 'Dim Time', Name of 'Date' was being processed.

Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while the 'Fiscal Year' attribute of the 'Date' dimension from the 'Adventure Works DW Standard Edition' database was being processed.

OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Operation canceled; HY008.

Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while the dimension, with the ID of 'Dim Time', Name of 'Date' was being processed.

Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while the 'Day of Week' attribute of the 'Date' dimension from the 'Adventure Works DW Standard Edition' database was being processed.

• False alarm. I selected the wrong project. All is well. Thanks again to Jesus (De los Santos Rodriguez-360037, that is).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply