Where clause with nested loop join

• Hi everybody,

I have a SQL SELECT query which has more than 200 line. Due to performance issue, I was trying to convert the hash join to nested loop join with OPTION (LOOP JOIN). Without WHRE clause, there is no syntax error, but while using WHERE clause, its throwing error.

Could you plz tell what may be the syntax?

My suntax:

select * from A inner join B on

(A.col1= B.col1) OPTION (LOOP JOIN) --Working fine

where a.col2=0 --Not working

Thanks in advance.

• HI All, Got it.

It should be

select * from A inner join B on

(A.col1= B.col1)

where a.col2=0 OPTION (LOOP JOIN)

Thanks.

Now I am coming ot the original query. This is working fine in Oracle but create a time out in SQL server. The SELECT query is more than 200 lines. The execution plan is very much gibberish. Any idea how to proceed to this performance problem?

Thanks in advance.

• It's not gibberish, if you post the execution plan XML along with the actual query people will likely be able to suggest improvements - for a start, why are you using join hints? In nearly every situation, assuming statistics are up to date the optimiser will pick the best plan on its own.

• arup_kc (9/1/2010)

Any idea how to proceed to this performance problem?

First things first, remove the hint.

If SQL is using a hash join it's because it thinks that there are too many rows for a loop join to be optimal. Take out the hint, then please post table definitions, index definitions and execution plan, as per http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

p.s. http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2009/11/24/the-most-optimal-join-type/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply