Whats going on Query window?

• Sean Lange (12/12/2014)

... Also, the link for documentation is a pretty bad choice since it is the sql 2000 version. There is no reference at all to sp_configure. ...

A better reference would be the 2008 R2 description of "ALLOW UPDATES" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179262(v=sql.105).aspx) where it says:

This option is still present in the sp_configure stored procedure, although its functionality is unavailable in SQL Server. The setting has no effect. Starting with SQL Server 2005, direct updates to the system tables are not supported.

• +1

• Another nice question spoilt by bad wording. Interesting, though, and easy to work out what the third tick had to be although it certainly didn't appear as output as required by the question's wording.

Tom

• Thank you for the question Shiva, straight forward even if the wording could have been more precise;-)

Another interesting thing is that the option "ALLOW UPDATES" is depreciated and has in fact no functionality since SQL Server 2005, as direct update of system tables is not supported in 2005 and later versions.

😎

• Well, I am using sp_configure often, but I never included it in a transaction, what is the use of that anyway? 😎

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• Thanks for the question.

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (12/12/2014)

Heals (12/12/2014)

However, the question seems to be worded incorrectly - if you run this code against SQL 2008R2 you only get two messages come back (At least I did when I checked my instance).

+1

at least I learned something today - read the question carefully before answering, and then only after the first cup of coffee...:-D

+1 thanks

Manik
    You cannot get to the top by sitting on your bottom.

• Logic can answer this question...

5 answers... Pick 3 ... 2 of them would indicate success which rules them out... Leaving the 3 that you should select.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply