What will be the output of the following?

• malleswarareddy_m (6/27/2010)

sheik (6/27/2010)

The table should be created with the identity (-1,-1). Then only we can get this result. Must be a typo error???.

It's correct.

Right.

Create Table MyTable1( mainkey int not null identity (-1,-1))

GO

insert into MyTable1 default values

Select * from MyTable1

drop table MyTable1

Now this code gives -1,-2,-3

Typing error. Lost my point...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

• I think the question is wrong.

incase identity(-1,-1) then the answer ll be correct other wise will get -1,0,1 only.

• ditto

John

• Must be typing mistake from the author of this question... but how can we have "-0" in the result. 😉

[font="Verdana"]Regards,
    Rals
    [/font].
  • I think this is a typo.I want my point.:crying:

• I am getting -1,0,1 as the final output. Could somebody recheck the answer.

• Interesting that the - got in the wrong place in the question, I saw the "-0" and thought that something might be up, but I picked that option anyhow since no other one was possible. I didn't think about that that - might have belonged up in the question.

At this point I agree that the correct answer needs to be changed, and points retro-actively awarded... 🙂

• Also, if the identity increment was -1, then both option 1 and 3 would be correct, as there is no clustered index to order it, and no ORDER BY statement specified, so either -1, -2, -3 or -3, -2, -1 could be the result.

• Hi,

I think, before publish any question, it should be check by experts.

bcz, we all here to increase are knowledge and its spread wrong message to all. So i request to publisher, please check the question before publish.

Thanks
    Vinay Kumar
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!

• If you start with -1 and add 1, the correct answer according to me is -1, 0, 1.

I agree with a previous post that to get -1, -2 -3 you would have to start with -1 and substract 1.

Identity would then be identity (-1,-1).

Not often that I disagree with the correct answer, but this time I do because I think the answer is wrong.

Vera

• I also expected the answer to be -1, 0, 1--glad to hear I'm not alone in this! And the explanation given seemed largely irrelevant--I never thought a primary key couldn't be negative.

• bazzkar (6/26/2010)

Comments posted to this topic are about the item <A HREF="/questions/IDENTITY/69598/">What will be the output of the following?</A>

I am getting -1,0,1 only..

Kindly explain

• Hi,

Identity has been set (-1, 1) that means first row will start with -1 and there will be 1 increment in subsequesnt rows so the answer should be

-1, 0, 1

• is this a typo in the question?.

I think to get this answer the declartion of the identity should by (-1,-1)

• Hey the answer to the Question is Wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply