What will be the output of the following?

• Sadowy,

I think it is very common for the questions/answers to be corrected/edited between when they are email and when you may get to the web site. Being on the west coast of the US corrections are normally made before I get up and attempt the question.

Given that I don't pay much attention to the question in the email, I always read and answer what is on the web site.

• sadowy (6/30/2010)

I object.

The question presented in the email had:

mainkey int not null identity (-1,1)

but the code in the question and answer on the web site had:

mainkey int not null identity (-1,-1)

EDIT: Removing grumpy comment that I added. Sorry, it has been a tough day.

The reason the email and question are different is explained in the 13 previous pages. You probably do not have to look much past page 2.

• This may have been covered but can someone tell me why the answer says the order will be -1,-2,-3 since in the create table NO PK IS DEFINED? I understand that this is the order the data was inserted, but without a PK or more specificly a clustered index how can you be assured of the data sort order.

• badatthis: Yes, that issue has been brought up more than once. And I think it goes further than that, even with a PK/clustered index you aren't guaranteed a sort order unless you specify ORDER BY in your SELECT statement. (If I am wrong on this can somebody correct me?)

• UMG Developer (6/30/2010)

badatthis: Yes, that issue has been brought up more than once. And I think it goes further than that, even with a PK/clustered index you aren't guaranteed a sort order unless you specify ORDER BY in your SELECT statement. (If I am wrong on this can somebody correct me?)

no you're right.

• Create Table MyTable

(

mainkey int not null identity (-1,-1)

)

GO

insert into MyTable default values

Select * from MyTable

== > ok in that case mainkey will increase by -1 ,

it will show -1,

-1+(-1)=-2

-2 + (-1) =-3

and so on

• UMG Developer (6/28/2010)

Also, if the identity increment was -1, then both option 1 and 3 would be correct, as there is no clustered index to order it, and no ORDER BY statement specified, so either -1, -2, -3 or -3, -2, -1 could be the result.

+1

Without explicit ORDER BY, there is no way we can predict the order. We could get any permutation, such as 1-,-3,-2 or -2,-1,-3 and so on.

Can you fix the incorrect multiple choice?

• Added an order by to the question.

• Thank you Steve!

• Nice question. now I got clear idea on Identity(seed, increment). Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 136 through 144 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply