What UDP port does SQL Server listen on?

• Got this one wrong, stupid me. I did check port assignments on ms site and found the following info

1433 TCP ms-sql-s Microsoft-SQL-Server

1433 UDP ms-sql-s Microsoft-SQL-Server

1434 TCP ms-sql-m Microsoft-SQL-Monitor

1434 UDP ms-sql-m Microsoft-SQL-Monitor

which would indicate that sql server uses port 1434 for UDP. I put SQL Server and UDP together to get 1433. I suppose the important word was 'listen' which would indicate 1434.

Does anyone know what Microsoft-SQL-Monitor is? and what SQL Server does via UDP on port 1433? if at all. Or is this all duff info.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• UDP 1434 is a listener service, basically.

When a client connects and wants to connect to an instance (MyServer\NamedInstance), it doesn't necessarily know the port (if it's not the default instance). The listener will respond to the client and tell the client what port the instance uses so that a connection can be made.

Also, when a client sends out a broadcast to find out what SQL Servers are available (such as when you hit the drop down box in SQL Manager), it sends out a broadcast on UDP 1434. Any SQL Server receiving the broadcast will by default answer back to the client. That's how the drop-downs get populated. Of course, if you've configured to "Hide Server" using Server Network Utility, the server won't answer back (actually, from the traces I took, it does, but the client ignores them).

Be careful with hiding the server, though, because this forces your SQL Server to TCP 2433 and cannot be changed (well, you can, but it's going to ignore your change and set it back to 2433). This also means that if you have a server running multiple instances, only one of them can be hidden.

K. Brian Kelley

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring

http://www.netimpress.com/shop/product.asp?ProductID=NI-SQL1

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply