what this indicates: high CPU and Zero I/O and Zero Memory value in sysprocesses

• Hi,

Recently, I faced one performance issue. SQL server became non responsive with 100% cpu utilization. I ran this query (select * from master..sysproceses order by CPU Desc) to find the high CPU utilized query. Below were top 2 rows of this query, you can see CPU value is high but I/O and memory is 0. After canceling the query (related to SPID 142). server CPU returned to normal. just wanted to know, in what situaltion I/O and memory usage can be 0 with high value of CPU

SPID KPID BlockedLastwaitTypedbiduid CPU phy_IO Memory status

142 237400 SOS_SCHEDULER_YIELD    812 932188 0 0 runnable

142238080 SOS_SCHEDULER_YIELD     812 925671 0 0 runnable -thanks in advance

• It looks like a key would be the wait type you are seeing.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/e2ddf26f-f86c-4368-b4a7-17b2b7c64aa5/

You are experiencing SOS_SCHEDULER_YIELD waits. This is an indicator of cpu pressure and happens when a process yields to another process. The yielding process waits in CPU to be renewed. If the task is not executing, it is possible that it will not require memory or IO.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply