What's the difference with installs for Core vs Server/Cal?

• Does anyone know why under MS vol licensing there are SQL 2019 Std installs for Core and different ones for Server/CAL.

The filename and size is the same, what's different about these?

We are converting Server/CAL to Core. Does it matter what install was used when the server was built?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  TangoVictor.
  • Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• This sounds like a better question for your licensing provider than a random forum post, but I can try to help here.

Best I can tell, there is no difference between the two.  How I came to this conclusion - I have downloaded the installer from my visual studio subscription and entered the license key provided by IT (who manages the purchases of the licenses) and my installs have always gone smoothly.  Visual studio doesn't even give you the option to download a "Server/CAL" version or a "Core" version, just an EXE or OTH.

If you wish to verify it though, I would say download the SERVER/CAL version and the Core version then use an MD5 hashing tool to generate the MD5 hash on it and if the 2 MD5 match, they are the same file.  If they don't match, they are different files.

But again, I would start by asking your license provider as they are the best resource for this type of question.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply