What skills do I need to learn for Yukon?

• I’ve been developing Microsoft OLAP and Datawarehouse solutions since the intro of Analysis Manager and Server 2000. Several years later I am now looking forward to Yukon. However, Our department is not part of the company IS department, in fact we are in a separate building several miles away. As a result throughout all this time I have never once been introduced to a programming language or environment such as .Net, Visual Studio etc. Ok, yes I have done some Excel VBA but that’s mainly copying code from a web site and bastardizing it to work for me, but I don’t understand the logic of programs. So my question is – I’ve been reading a lot on Yukon and all these .Net framework, CLR, DLL ect. terms are causing concern. How come I’ve been writing DTS packages and running our Datawarehouse all this time and never needed VB or ActiveX before? More importantly am I going to have to learn CLR, C# to be able to do my job when we move to Yukon? As most of you out there I want to be at the front, I don’t want to find that in 3 years time my SQL server skills are holding me back form positions elsewhere because I didn’t learn CLR. I understand some of the benefits of programs over SQL, but are these mainly for the OLTP side of things rather than a Datawarehouse? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I'd start learning a .Net language, something like C#.

UDTs can be created in any .Net language and 'registered' within Yukon, allowing functions to be exposed and avaialable in SQL.

BUT Transact SQL and DDL will still (IMO) be the best way of doing set based SQL operations, however some of the newer features of Yukon will need you (and the developers using it) to have some level of proficiency in any of the .Net languages in order to translate concepts and design ideas

Steve

cheers

dbgeezer

• I would follow Steve Brett's advice but add JScript and VB.NET to the mix for the following reasons:

Its still not clear what will emerge as the "winning" development language surrounding Yukon's basic set-based operations(T-SQL will eventually phase out but for what ???). Infopath 2003 - the new and very good XML-based but SQL-Server using form processing system uses JScript.NET extensively. VB.NET looks like it may be the replacement for VBA.

So cover all the bases!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply