What is the right answer here, or how do I determine what the right answer is?

• I put in a ticket to get my team into TFS to manage our database, IT is asking me this question:
    "Pleaselet us know if you will want to create an SSDT package build definition andrelease template….A build definition uses a build controller to compile thecode and get it ready for pushing it to a development, UAT, QA, SIT, orproduction environment.  A release template takes the SSDT and publishesthe schema changes to a development, UAT, QA, SIT, or production database usingRelease Management Client."

I'm not sure what the pro/cons are here, how do I figure that out?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford - Friday, October 19, 2018 12:12 PM

I put in a ticket to get my team into TFS to manage our database, IT is asking me this question:
    "Pleaselet us know if you will want to create an SSDT package build definition andrelease template….A build definition uses a build controller to compile thecode and get it ready for pushing it to a development, UAT, QA, SIT, orproduction environment.  A release template takes the SSDT and publishesthe schema changes to a development, UAT, QA, SIT, or production database usingRelease Management Client."

I'm not sure what the pro/cons are here, how do I figure that out?

Step 1: get it translated into coherent English. Then, maybe, you have a chance of determining the best course of action.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Sounds like you are being asked if you want to have automatic deployments happening to all your environments.

Is that the goal of managing the DB via TFS or just to source control it?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply