What are the Ramifications of Renaming the Windows OS Default Administrator Account

• Hi Folks

I have a question for any windows admin gurus as it relates to sql server 2005 install and databases

Some years ago someone renamed windows os default administrator account

Since then, this account has been used to install sql server 2005 as well as creating 22 sql server databases

Now someone wants this account to be renamed again

My questions are:

What are the ramifications of renaming the account that installed sql server 2005 ?

What are the ramifications to the 22 databases that were created with this account ?

RDBMS: SQL Server 2005

Thanks

Jim

• Is this account the owner of the databases or is it mapped to "sa"?

The installation shouldn't matter. It's the access and perhaps ownership of this account. The SID should stay the same, but it's possible that the name might cause something unforseen to occur. I wouldn't think so, but I wonder about the places where this name is stored in the various tables.

I suspect you could just change things inside SQL Server.

Is there some reason they want to rename the Windows administrator account?

• Hi Steve

well when i look at owner_sid in sys.databases it shows this account as the creator (see attachment)

the reason, well... that is my question to the folks at this Air Force Base I work for.

They do things here without understanding the ramifications.

Something about changing the group policies on their servers, but not really sure other than that

They now say that this account (after 7 years now) should not be used on the server so I believe they want to rename it and change the group policy

I am trying to fight any changes to this account, as it is tied to not only my sql servers and databases but my oracle servers and databases as well.

Thanks

Jim

• I'd change the db owners to a new account, since it shouldn't affect anything if you make the change. Use "sa" or another real account.

For the other stuff, I might virtualize the SQL Server and a DC, and then test the change. You ought to be able to do a P->V for testing.

• Hi Steve

okay, so i guess i would do an

ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON SCHEMA for the databases then ?

you lost me on P-> V

Thanks

Jim

• P-V, physical to virtual migration. Essentially snapshot the Windows OS as a point in time and recreate as a virtual machine. You can leave the physical, and bring up the two VMs (DC and SQL) on a separate network.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb963740.aspx

Is the schema not owned by DBO, or this specific user? If a user, you'd need to move that as well. Anything owned by the user might need to be moved. Is there a reason it's owned by this user, or just defaults?

• Hi Steve

best i can tell the schema was created by the account logged in at the time. In this case it was "LLADMIN"

DBO does not own any schemas

a majority are sharepoint databases so i am little concerned about those

with the exception of master,model,msdb, tempdb, owned by sa, all other schemas are owned by the logged in account when it was created

so can i just execute this command on these databases to change the owner, if i have to ?

ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON SCHEMA.....

Thanks

Jim

• yes

• thanks

• Hi Folks

another issue just cropped up with regards to database owners and need some advice

it seems that a majority of my databases were created by lets say Domain1\User1

User1 is now being created in a new called Domain2

Domain1 is going away at some point

What is the ramification of this scenario since my databases will still have the previous owner associated with them ?

What do I need to do since all these new owners are now in a different domain and the databases will still show the previous owner

Thanks

Jim

• JC-3113 (2/10/2012)

Hi Folks

another issue just cropped up with regards to database owners and need some advice

it seems that a majority of my databases were created by lets say Domain1\User1

User1 is now being created in a new called Domain2

Domain1 is going away at some point

What is the ramification of this scenario since my databases will still have the previous owner associated with them ?

What do I need to do since all these new owners are now in a different domain and the databases will still show the previous owner

Thanks

Jim

change the database owner to a valid account using sp_changedbowner stored procedure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• How are these two statements different in changing the owner of the database ?

EXEC sp_changedbowner 'Emil';

ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON SCHEMA::Franny TO Emil;

Thanks

Jim

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply