Whack a Database

• I can sum up the whole debate in one word which more than adequately will describe what happens when M$ thinks about doing something better:

VISTA
    :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • I agree with Matt. I think the delete works well as designed and that there is already enough security measures built in. They could add a dialog that asks 'Do you have your resume up to date?'. 😛

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Bob Hoffman (11/6/2007)

I can sum up the whole debate in one word which more than adequately will describe what happens when M$ thinks about doing something better:

VISTA
    :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Now here I can agree entirely.

It surprises me somewhat that UNIX administrators rarely seem to have an issue with that OS's lack of "are you sure you're sure you're sure you want to do this?" messages, and that Oracle DBAs don't moan about the ability to make all kinds of hefty changes to their databases without being wrapped in cotton wool, yet Microsoft still entertain the idea of actually disabling some functionality to protect users from themselves.

I'm generally not a Microsoft fan, but am happy to acknowledge (and use) a good product. SQL Server is one such. Is that because it stops me doing silly things? No. Is it because it reliably serves data to some of our business apps? Yes. For me, changing the GUI won't make a significant difference to how I view the product.

And talking of GUIs, I agree with the comment about good/bad menu design. I administer both SQL and Oracle databases, and on both sides I use command line and GUI in approximately equal amounts. Oracle's GUI isn't all that great IMHO, so I often use TOAD by Quest instead. Therefore I'm definitely one who sees SSMS as a step forward from EM.

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply