We Need a DBA Boot Camp

• I am not sure a DBA boot camp would be useful. The reason being is that you cannot train for all the incidents that can and will occur in a production environment.

• I totally agree with you, Andy. I'm one of those accidental DBA's. We're a small IT shop (used to be 4 of us, but we've lost 1 recently due to RIF). I've been the DBA for over a year now, but really consider myself to be first and foremost a developer who has to do DBA activity on the side. There's a lot I understand about being a DBA, especially in the MIcrosoft SQL Server world, but there's other things I don't understand. For example, for me the SQL Maintenance plans are a godsent, and I can make rudimentary changes to SQL Maintenance plans, but getting into the guts of SSIS is beyond me. Fortunately, we don't have a need for it, for the most part. Also, I like writing my own SQL, and I'm pretty good, even if I do say so myself. I don't like designers writing my SQL scripts, as I think of them getting into my way, but some DDL commands are more academic to me than something I've worked with practically. For example, I find the recent articles in SSC's newslettter on the difference between the DELETE and TRUNCATE commands to be very helpful. A DBA bootcamp would be, for me, very helpful. However, because of our seriously depleted circumstances, such a bootcamp would necessarily have to be free, or extremely cheap.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• row

I am not sure a DBA boot camp would be useful. The reason being is that you cannot train for all the incidents that can and will occur in a production environment.

I do not believe that the purpose of a boot camp is to train a person for specific incidents, but to provide a vast knowledge as to the workings of the database, and everything that it entails such as database architecture, normalization, indexes, maintenance, etc. It would also include such information as network operation and disk layout. Once you have the knowledge, you are better prepared for the incidents that occur.

Steve Jimmo
    Sr DBA
    “If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

• I would say so. I wouldn't mind a boot camp. I need my skills sharpen. I am still looking to break through this industry

• I'd love to have one. I pick up the DBA role when the only DBA in the company left. Sorry to admit that people think of me as DBA, but I know that my skills and knowledge are not good enough for me to proudly tell that I am a qualified DBA.

• With virtual learning it would seem we could make this happen. I would devote an hour a day to get online with colleagues, spend 15-30 mins having an instructor explain a topic, then having them stay online for another 30-60 mins while we applied the knowledge we just learned.

I would pay the instructor out of my own pocket if it was relatively small, say $2 a "class". I know what doesn't seem like much, but if you had 100 dbas participating, $200 for a couple hours of work isn't bad.

• would pay the instructor out of my own pocket if it was relatively small, say $2 a "class". I know what doesn't seem like much, but if you had 100 dbas participating, $200 for a couple hours of work isn't bad.

really? and who is paying for the hours of prep work putting such a program together and maintaining it? and administering it? I agree affordable would be great for those who have to pay out of pocket- however one must consider how much effort goes into even a 'virtual' or web class....

• Just bootcamp, or should we include tech school too?

If that bootcamp was on par with Internals training by SQLSkills, I would say yes. If that bootcamp is on par with currently available "bootcamps" where the sole goal is to pass certs - I'd say probably not.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• 1. Yes

2. We don't need boot camps. We need companies and environments that sponsor and foster training and education. Most things are learned ad-hoc and it shows in waste and performance.

• 1. Yes - Air Force

2. Yes, something like a virtual boot camp could have great potential for new a DBA or a DBA looking to take their skills to the next level. Or maybe mini boot camps for each broad DBA technology.

Do you have a brochure or the syllabus so I can try to convince management? 😀

• 1. No

2. Yes

I would love to attend a DBA boot camp. However, I think most of people wouldn't have the time or the resource to do so. Does anyone know where they offer DBA boot camp?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hai Ton
    My Db4Breakfast blog.

• 1 - Yes - 1975 Army - Ft Jackson

2 - I am in full agreement that it would be great to have but also that it is almost impossible to implement for the previous stated reasons. I agree that instead of BASIC Training - a more technical training (like in the Army - we had Advance Individual Training) would be more in tuned to what is needed. I also agree with the previous posts on subjects that should be required and that programs like SQL Saturdays are the perfect tool with the exception that they are held very rarely. It would take a person about 2-3 years to complete it. The friendships and peer development that would come out of it would be a great benefit to all. All around - I think it would be a great thing to have.

Question of the day - Who would be the Bill Muray and John Candy (as in the movie Stripes) of the DBA Bootcamp?

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply