VMs for Development

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/27/2014)

quackhandle1975 (3/27/2014)

Can I ask you what memory make/type you have in your T430?

Cheers

qh

That's a good question. I want to say I got one 8GB stick from Lenovo when I bought it and then got another from Crucial? I usually buy from them. It's possible I just got it from Lenovo

You can use Piriform's Speccy or even CPU-Z to see the make and part number of the RAM, as well as the size, bandwidth (PCx-yyyyy), latency, and voltage.

• 8GB is tough, but it depends on what you run. I have a VM that really needs 6-8GB to run well, so I went with a larger machine that got me the 16GB

• James Horsley (3/27/2014)

Crucial have a compatibility tool that will list modules with guaranteed compatibility - from that it looks like the T420s only supports 8GB total as 2x4GB

DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-14900

Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-14900, DDR3 (non-ECC)

Maximum Memory: 8GB

Slots: 2

I would double check with Lenovo though

Thanks James, I have heard that as well. Have also read on a few forums that people have the T420s running with 16GB RAM. I know Lenovo say 8GB Max.

Cheers

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • Just a FYI:

Lenovo Forum here, seems a few people are running 16GB RAM in a T420s just fine. (page 2 of thread)

Kingston Hyper x 1600 2 x 8GB.

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • Today's employers don't want their data going out of the office so they provide virtual machines on their servers for contractors and staff and you work on that remote desktop using the employers development, test or live servers as appropriate. The bonus is that you can work from anywhere on the same kit and contractors supply their own laptops to connect to their VM so less desktop hardware outlay for the employer and no complicated setups for the contractor or employee.
    In the latest contract I've worked on my three different pc - desktop, laptop and windows tablet and in various places including trains and in the local library when my home internet went down. But the software and data stayed on the company premises at all times!

• VMs. Let me tell you about VMs.
    I have used Virtual Machines since 2002 when I got my hands on a copy of VMware Workstation 3.0
    I have never looked back, I love VMs, I started using them for personal use.
    I have separate VMs for email, financials, and development environments. It is all compartmented, providing an extra level of protection.
    When I upgrade my hardware, I don’t have to re-configure everything.  I just copy off my VMs and transfer them to the new system. When I what to modify my dev environment It has no impact on my main system
    If you only use VMs for this purpose then you are going to be better off.
    I also run VMware vCenter, 6.0.   I run it in a Hyper-V VM on a Win 2016 server, yes I really do.
    I have two HP ProLiant servers running ESXI hosting my  30+ VMs, but that is another story.
    Bottom line: If you are not using VMs you need to start.

• Could not agree more with above post. A few years ago I purchased a TS140 ThinkServer as a test box where I could run ESXi 6/6.5 and play with VMs as Clustered enviromments and use Always AGs.  Initially it took me around 3/4 days on and off of getting everything configured.  

The other week, in Azure, I created  six VMs with DC, AD, etc, SQL Server in a clustered environment with Always On AGs.  All this was created in 47 minutes. πŸ˜€

qh

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply