And what if i have

CREATE View View2 AS

Select * From View1

CREATE View View3 AS

SELECT * FROM View2

CREATE View View4 AS

SELECT * FROM View3

This will effect Performance / Not

If Yes then what is solution for Same Type Of Query Using in Multiple Stored Procedure

If write seperate Query for Every Stored Performance can lead to miss any logic

Waiting for reply

Thanks in Advance

• 1)There is no difference between a view and a simple select for performance.

Beware of making views based upon views ->effect performance (possible to much data joined)

2)Views usually haven't and don't need an order by clause since this is handled in the query itself.

3)Writing select * is asking for trouble later on, use the specific columnnames. Query Analyzer can script them out for you.

4)Always query a view/table/... by prefixing its owner (performance reasons, ambiguitiy...)

5)

If Yes then what is solution for Same Type Of Query Using in Multiple Stored Procedure

If write seperate Query for Every Stored Performance can lead to miss any logic

Do you have an example?

• Exapmle 1

1st Page

Select FName, LName From Member Table Order By FName

2nd Page - Same Query

3rd Page - Same Query

Now if Client say that Instead of Order By FName I want LName

If i don't use Views i have to change everywhere, otherwise only in view i change order By Clause

Example 2

Select Emp_Name, Sum(Salary) As TotalSalary From Employee Table

If i create view of Above Query i can use Same Query everywhere

So in Future also i have to put some where condition to calculate Salary, i have to change at one place only

Thanks for your reply

• If each view contains an Order By clause, then you may eventually end up writing a view for every possible combination of Order By clauses. That is, potentially, a LOT of views to create...and modify when you add your Salary calculation.

Consider a single view used by a stored procedure that applies the correct Order By based on a parameter. It will save a LOT of coding.

------------
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply