View Timesout For One User (Sometimes), But Not Other User

• Hello,

I have a View that works efficiently under one user, but acts slow under another user.

If user one open SQL Management Studio and goes to Views and opens this view (which does have a lot of records). It opens quickly and correctly.

If user two opens SQL Management Studio and goes to Views and opens this view. It either opens very slowly OR times out when returning the data.

Is there something that could be causing this?

Thanks for any guidance.

• My guess is that one user has a better PC than the other user. Opening views (and tables) in SSMS can be very slow. You might suggest to the user to open a query window and select * from <viewname>. If there are that many records, the user probably doesn't want to see them all anyway, so using the query, it's easier to add where clauses to limit the output.

HTH,

Cindy

• This is occuring on the same computer.

• What types of login are the users using? SQL Server or Windows Auth?

If Windows, is user 1 actually logging out of the system when user 2 tries? Or are they double-logged in and using the "Switch Users" functionality of the OS (Vista and above)?

Or is user 2 using user 1's windows login?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• This problem was first identified because we have a Web report that works when logging in as one user, but not working when logging in as another even from the same computer. Sometimes this problem user would get results returned correctly; other times this problem user would not get any results returned at all.

Because of this, I confirmed the report is pulling correctly from the view in SQL.

I then began troubleshooting this using SQL Server Management Studio and logged in using SQL Authentication as the good user and saw all the results return properly and efficiently. I then logged in as the problem user using SQL Authentication and saw that the results would return some of the time and other times it would time-out. It appears the performance runs better for one user than it does for the other user on the exact same computer. SQL Management Studio is on the test machine while the database is on a dedicated database server.

• This may have nothing to do with the issue, but I advise you to do it anyway, just to make sure it isn't the problem.

Go through User 2's SQL Authentication permissions. Check everything, even inherited permissions, to make sure there are no Denied or Revoked permissions. Find out every permissions difference between U1 & U2 just for comparison's sake.

Let us know what you see.

EDIT: Include default schemas, etc.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply