Validating Unicode Data in StoredProcedure

• Hi All,

I am having a tought time in validating the Chinese/Korean Characters in the Stored Procedure

Assume that i have an Application through which the User will enter Chinese /Korean Characters

The values entered i must validate in the SP before storing them in the table

Following is an Sample Validation

Create proc @validateUnicod

(

@param1 nVarchar(100) --This will have chinese/Korean characters in the Unicode UTF - 8 Format

if @param1 = '/CHEQUE'

begin

end

)

• I'm not sure what you mean.

If you mean that you have to check the input against a string containing characters that only a person who can enter Chinese/Korean could set up then look to user the NCHAR function to build up a string.

For example SELECT NCHAR(65) should produce 'A'.

• Hi thanks for the reply

let me reframe my Question like this

Assume that an user enters Chinese Character like "?" ( Which is Equal to the word "PING" in English) and wants this value to be saved in the SQL Server table. The Frontend Application ensures that before calling the SP to store this value, it converts the chinese character entered to the UNICODE and call the SP to insert the unicode value in the table and when i store this Character , it gets stored as "ƽ" (Unicode Equivalent ) in SQL Server 2000. So before storing this value in the database i want to validate that is passed to the BE. Say in this case i dont want to user enter the value PING in the textbox.

if ( @param1 = 'PING' ) --I cant write a validate stmt in unicode like ( @param1 = 'ƽ')

begin

select 'user cannot enter value ping'

return

end

else

insert the record into the table

• In SQL, if you want to specify unigode string you must use N'' style.

in your case

if ( @param1 = N'PING')

BEGIN

Darko

First rule of debugging:
    No Code, No Bugs

• You might take a look at the NCHAR() and UNICODE() functions.

If I understand you rquestion correctly (by no means certain) you're trying to embed validation to disallow certain characters in the unicode range(s) allocated to the CJK unified character set.

You might be trying to do

if @param1 = nchar(21225)  ---  or whatever other code corresponding to a CJK character

begin

end

else

Good luck

• > Character , it gets stored as "ƽ" (Unicode Equivalent )

That looks like the UTF-8 equivalent, not a Unicode codepoint. Unicode is a character set, not an encoding, so there is no byte sequence in Unicode for a particular character, there is only a character number, or codepoint. It depends what encoding is used to translate the character (codepoint) to a byte sequence, which byte sequence comes out.

This is very relevant here, because I don't think SQL Server 2000 is capable of handling UTF-8 encodings of Unicode. My guess is that it can only handle UCS-2LE (or UTF-16LE) encodings, and those are different byte sequences.

Anyway, if you know the character you want, you can supply the Unicode codepoint and let SQL Server convert it into the appropriate representation (byte sequence) by using the NCHAR function, as mentioned above.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply