UTC time to EST time

• Hi,

The 'TIME_UTC' column is UTC timing. I would like to generate the report for EST timings .

But below query gives UTC timings for the last week.I would like to convert it to EST timing. Any suggestions pls.

select TIME_UTC from table_name

where TIME_UTC BETWEEN cast(GETDATE()-8 as date) AND cast(GETDATE()-1 as date)

Thanks.

• I suspect you want SWITCHOFFSET. For example, at the time of writing, SELECT SWITCHOFFSET(GETUTCDATE(),'-05:00'); returns 2020-06-08 04:23:38.100 -05:00.

If you are using this in a WHERE you are better off changing the OFFSET of your parameter, not the column. In Pseudo-SQL:

WHERE YourUTCDateTime >= SWITCHOFFSET(@YourESTDatetimeOffsetStart,'+00:00')
    AND YourUTCDateTime < SWITCHOFFSET(@YourESTDatetimeOffsetEnd,'+00:00')

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by  Thom A.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• What's the datatype of the column? Is it a straight datetime/datetime2? Or something like datetimeoffset?

• In 2016 there are some nice built in features to support time zone conversions

/* the list of time zones your instance supports */
    select * from sys.time_zone_info;

declare
    @utc_dt datetime=sysutcdatetime();

/* the UTC date */
    select @utc_dt;

/* whatever time zone from sys.time_zone_info */
    select @utc_dt at time zone 'Alaskan Standard Time';

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• datatype is datetime

• You don't have time zone info, so you can convert this based on EST, knowing that some of your data will be incorrect.  During parts of the year, EST is used, parts you have EDT. If this doesn't matter, when pick one (4 or 5 hours) and adjust times with DATEADD or SWITCHOFFSET()

Just note that SWITCHOFFSET returns a datetimeoffset, which should convert implicitly to datetime.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply