Using SQL Profiler

• Good  morning group!  I have a  question... I have a  DBA on my team who has give out the the  use of profiler to  developers and  to random system users to use to  do tracing on queries!!!  Am I being too anal and  tight  when I say this is a  toool that should be  used by  DBA's  only and should be  monitored because it can cause issues  to a  database or a server for that matter!!!! 

Your opinions and  suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

• epascascio76 - Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:27 AM

Good  morning group!  I have a  question... I have a  DBA on my team who has give out the the  use of profiler to  developers and  to random system users to use to  do tracing on queries!!!  Am I being too anal and  tight  when I say this is a  toool that should be  used by  DBA's  only and should be  monitored because it can cause issues  to a  database or a server for that matter!!!! 

Your opinions and  suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

It depends. Use of profiler on development/QA environments should be fine. Using it in production should be restricted to DBAs and under special circumstances.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Yes, this is wrong, for the following reasons:
    (1) It is resource-intensive and thus can cause sever performance problems;
    (2) It can expose details that may be confidential;
    (3) It's old school - you should be using Extended Events from SQL Server 2012 onwards.

John

• I'll might give some developers the permissions to use Profiler on development environment.  It will have to be developers that I trust that they know how to use it and as I wrote before only on development environment.

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• I am a developer but I know the in and out of SQL Server. It wouldn't hurt if the developer know how to use it.
    Plus it reduce DBA head count.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    IT Jobs
    KSL classifieds
    Clasificados Los angeles
    Busco Trabajo

• On a development environment, sure. Developers break development, they only inconvenience themselves.
    Profiler permission on production, no way in hell. Profiler, the GUI at least, can cause severe problems to a busy server, up to and including crashing SQL (I've done it)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you guys so much for helping me  through this!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply