Using Linked Server

• ok..now after i do all the steps mentioned by you. I go to enterprise manager in SQL server 7.0 and click on the linked server, it shows the tables icon. once i click on the tables icon it gives me this error.

"ERROR 7403: could not locate registry entry for OLE DB provoder 'OraOLEDB.Oracle.1'". Please help out.

• You have installed the oracle client with the data connectivity drivers, right? If yes I will need to run setup when I am at work tomorrow to give you the specific details I need to know. Also what version of the client are you using?

• i think i have installed oracle 8.1 client. with sql*net i am able to connect to the database which is on a unix box and i am able to test it using ODBC. Following is more specification on the client. Release 8.1.5 for Windows NT and Windows 95/98

March, 1999

let me know if you need more info. thanks very much.

• Ok I think I almost have a clue. If you do not have the client installed on the same machine as the SQL Server you are trying to connect from it will not work. You will need to install and configure the Oracle Client on the SQL Server machine you are testing on first then the items I listed should get going in the direction I expect.

• I tried installing the Oracle 8.1 client to the SQL server NT box and configured the client to talk to the Oracle on the Unix box. Still it shows up with the same errors as above. I feel there is something more to it than these steps we are following.

• I will try to get a snapshot or two tomorrow at work I can forward to show you what all I do.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply