User email address string length

• Hello there,

Firstly, I am a complete beginner at database programs. That said I have a question I hope someone can help me with.

I have a site that I used a programming company to write for me using mySQL and php. Basically a user has to register to access the functions of the site. Their username then becomes their email address.

Problem is, one user has a long email address; 35 characters long. She registered without any problem but cannot log in as she is told that the username is too long. I have looked at the php files and cannot find any limitation so feel that it must be in the database.

Does anyone have any pointers as to where in the database I should look and what I should edit?

Thanks in advance,

Mark Longstreath

• Your post is not complete.....

Andy.

• Andy,

Updated the original. Don't know what happened there.

• Just a shot in the dark...I need to see the tables in the database.

However did you try to look at the tables in the database as each column in a table has a length specified and will not permit a string that is longer to be inserted. (try just for the fun of it to look for tables that have "user" or "login" or "security" in the names)

There could also be a stored procedure with some business rule in it....

Andy.

• Not knowing much about PHP have you looked at the AfterUpdate or LostFocus event of the USERID field to see if there is logic there that limits the length of the userid?

Have you looked at the OnClick code of the login button to see if there is something there?

Have you tried SEARCH through the hard drive of where your code lives for the message ?

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply