User cant change column widths of table

• Before I get chastised for letting a user into a table, it was something that had to happen to get him to stop using an older access MDB, and over with the rest of the company which uses an Access 2003 ADP FE and SQL 2K BE.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post, but I was hoping that some DBA might know the answer.

This user has Select, Insert, Update and Delete rights to this table. He views the table through Access. He adjusts the column widths to his liking and can change the data in the table, but when he closes the table, he gets a message stating that he cant change the column layout because he doesnt have rights. Does anyone know what rights?

TIA,

David

• Assign the role of db_ddladmin.

dbo would work as well, if you want to go that far.

Steve

• I'm no expert in permission so if I'm wrong please jump in and save my ass .

I think he must be the owner of the table to do this, or be at least db_ddladmin. But if you put him in the db_ddladmin group he'll have access to all the tables and I don't know if there's a simple way to give him access to the ddl of only a few tables (assuming it's possible).

• Well, adding him to the db_ddladmin role worked!!! But what else can happen :S

The user is a manager and doesnt know about F11, so he doesnt get into the DB window to access other tables. He opens teh table through a menu button, so until I get his table normalized and working with the rest of the databse, I think I'm OK. Thanks for the quick responses.

David

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply