Usefull alerts

• Hello,

I am looking for usefull alerts.

I want to use SQL Mail to send the alerts to me. I can think of som eobviuos alerts like free disk space. But is there any experienced DBA out there that has a list of things he checks .....

If you have create a usefull alert please post it here

• I too am interested the responses to this one.

• I would do:

1) Events over a specific serverity instead of each error. You can specify a severity level instead of an error. So put all the show stoppers in. It lists them in the setup screen for an alert.

2) Performance measures: CPU usage gets over blah, disk space over blah. All depend on your hardware so can't give exact numbers. I would do:

Lock/ TimeOuts exceed blah (locks can be big problems if programming not right).

Memory Manager/Total Server Memory Falls below blah.

SQL Buffer Manager / Page Writes per second.

SQL Buffer Manager / Page Reads per second.

SQL Server General / User Connections.

Hope this helps.

• One killer error that prompted me to look into this area in the first place is Blocking Locks. Try setting that up. I like to get notified immediately this occurs so I have set it to Net Send, Email and if I had a pager or winged demons I'd use them too.

Still, usually the phone rings first.....

Also I track failed logins (naughty users with too much time on their hands) and 'object not found' (idiot developers in the wrong database, or just plain can't type)

I enabled all the demo errors but never recieved one so got bored and switched them off.

DB

The systems fine with no users loggged in. Can we keep it that way ?br>

• For years, I worked in a place that had a dedicated SQL Server Administrator that took care of all this "stuff". I have been writting Cold Fusion, Java Script and SQL code for 7 years, supplemented with various graphic arts programs abd audio/visual software. I spent about 3 years on Access and about 4 years now on SQL Server - I really like it, but I am a novice.

If I wanted SQL server to send me an email if the CPU usage exceeds 65% or the used disk space exceeds 65%, just exactly what do I do to set this up?

If there is one, can someone give the fastest/easiest way to accomplish this.

I would be forever grateful. 

• If you are after SQL Server items you can go into EM/management/SQL Server Agent/Alerts and select new SQL Server performance conditions (do screen shots work here ?)

hmm maybe not, we'll see.

This is OK for SQL server items but I prefer to use an hourly job to check diskspace usage - (a script from this site I believe, very useful) and network servers/hardware are managed by Dell and HP Openview.

The systems fine with no users loggged in. Can we keep it that way ?br>

• We use SolarWinds software to monitor our SQL Servers physical counters.  I get alerts if the drive capacity falls below a certain amount (20%), the CPU goes above 95%, network utilization goes above 90%, etc. etc.  In addition we monitor locking and blocking pretty extensively with traces, in addition to long running queries, user connections, and queries with heavy reads.

Derrick Leggett
    Mean Old DBA
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply