Usage of Scripting and other languages than TSQL

• Ahoi,

so far i have only been using TSQL and MDX to solve my problems.

I know it is possible to run Scripts in SSIS of Python and other languages.

But what i don't know yet is what is a common use for these scripts and languages like R, Python in SQL Server?

I am trying to get into Python (in my freetime) at the moment, but i am not really sure what usescases Python has in SQL Server.

• I personally don't use R or Python in SQL Server, but my understanding is that both of these have great analytics and graphing libraries in them.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• ktflash wrote:

Ahoi,

so far i have only been using TSQL and MDX to solve my problems.

I know it is possible to run Scripts in SSIS of Python and other languages.

But what i don't know yet is what is a common use for these scripts and languages like R, Python in SQL Server?

I am trying to get into Python (in my freetime) at the moment, but i am not really sure what usescases Python has in SQL Server.

Python and many others are programming languages with almost no relation to SQ, don't confuse those. SQL is excellent as DML, DDL and DQL, but notice, the D (data) is the Driver!

😎

So far, R, Python and others are mainly on the tertiary layer, that is presentation or analysis and presentation. Once you understand the part each of those plays, you'll know how to avoid overlaps.

• Theres so many python books out there for data analysis.

After i fortified my basics of python im planning to continue with a handbook/introduction book to numpy und scipy.

Can anyone suggest python book for data analysis based on personal experience to build ontop?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply