Upgrading Reports to 2008 , from 2005

• Hi There

No doubt some of you may have experienced this issue when you upgraded your report server and needed to make a change to one of your old 2005 reports

We have just completed our upgrade to 2008

and going through and loading all the reports into visual studio into our 2008 project

We noticed that several reports , in the desgin view have a BIG RED CROSS through the control(s)

which I assume has come from upgrading the reports.

Is there a better way to update the RDL to prevent the big red cross , or am I going to have to rewrite the whole report from scratch to be able to have a design view which I can work on.

note that the report still runs as expected.

Thanks guys (and gals)

• So you upgraded the reporting services installation before looking at your report objects? If so, that's gutsy!!

What does the red X say, anything? I am in the prep for upgrading and simply created a second instance of all my reports and loaded into BIDS 2008 to make any necessary updates. I have not run into a red X yet though.

• oh yes very gutsy , we did have other servers we could point to and run the reports if everything went to pot, so not AS scary as it sounds. One thing we found extremely problematic was converting all our applications which used ReportService.asmx to generate reports. As they need to use reportexecution2005.asmx (I can't remember if that is right now?)

and ReportService2005.asmx

We use a webservice to generate a lot of our reports into Excel, which was the biggest trouble maker.

Several Reports are stitched together in Excel but the way ReportingServices deals with rendering to Excel is slightly more interesting. when we stitch our reports together we copy the individual reports into one workbook. A lot of the formatting was then lost, colours especially, as the first sheet that is created is the Master, This Master sheet, references all the colours used, if you add more sheets to the Workbook that the master is in, only the colours used in the master are used, and excel will Badly Guess the other colours, sometimes It will give you something entirely random, ie instead of a pale green , it will use BRIGHT RED.

If you try copying an excel rendered report to another sheet you'll see this problem.

Also the other Annoyance which turned out to be not much of a problem, is that CanShrink and CanGrow Attributes are useless in excel. Excel doesn't translate it , and reports come out in a variety of different sizes. to solve this I was about to painstakingly set each CanShrink and CanGrow to false, and then i realised I could just do a find and replace for all values and set them all to false in one go.

Possibly saved me about 2 days worth of hard tinkering.

I solved my RED CROSS Problem , I deleted the groups that were inside the objects and reapplied them. Problem solved , although , nothing told me why they were caused, or how it should be solved.

• I am just about ready to release our new SSRS 2008 reporting server and noticed differences in pagination between 2005 and 2008. I am finding reports created in 2005 and deployed to our new 2008 server, have differing page breaks between the two servers. I know 2008 has different handling of paging, but it appears the number of lines on the page is being calculated differently.

I tried converting the report to SSRS 2008, but the pagination issue is still there. The reason this is a big issue is I have a summary table the business wants on the first page with details table on the following pages. It renders fine and exports to Excel as expected in 2005, but a page break before the end of the summary causes the summary to span across 2 pages. When the report is exported to Excel from SSRS 2008, it creates two worksheets for the summary. Ths summary is supposed to appear on the first sheet and the details on the second sheet. This is happening with the orignal 2005 version deployed to 2008 and the version that was upgraded and deployed to 2008.

Has anyone ever seen this? If so, do you have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks

• One thing you might want to check is whether ConsumeContainerWhitespace is set to True. This Property could be causing the initial page to span across 2 pages.

When Set to True this removes any whitespace between containers

This can be found by right clicking in the background and in the properties panel under other.

let me know how it goes

• Hi.

In my opinion, you should refer to the url below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335967.aspx

Regards,

becklery.

RAQ Report: Web-based Excel-like Java reporting tool[/url]

• becklery (11/14/2009)

Hi.

In my opinion, you should refer to the url below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335967.aspx

Regards,

becklery.

How on Earth is that going to help?

• We can upgrade SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 to SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 directly, whatever the SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 is deployed with SharePoint Integrated Mode or not.

If the SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 is deployed with SharePoint Integrated Mode, after upgrading to SQL Server Reporting Services 2008, the reports in the SharePoint library still work fine.

It is recommended that uninstall SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services add-in for SharePoint and then install SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services add-in for SharePoint after upgrading the SQL Server Reporting Services from 2005 to 2008.

Please follow these articles to upgrade SQL Server Reporting Services to SQL Server Reporting Services 2008:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb677622.aspx

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

RAQ Report: Web-based Excel-like Java reporting tool[/url]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply