Upgrading Power BI Report Server from an older release to May 2020

• Hello, I'm looking for some advice from people who have updated an earlier version of Power BI Report Server (August 2018) to a newer release. In this case, the May 2020 release.  I have hesitated to do the upgrade because people are not reporting any issues and I fear that some reports or visualizations will behave differently.  At the same time, I'd like to pick up the bug fixes and improvements.

Would the process be to inform people to download the newest version of Power BI Desktop ahead of time?  Are there any bad experiences out there with an in place upgrade?  In this case, we have two Power BI Report Servers running behind an external load balancer so I assume that I should upgrade one, validate a few reports, and then upgrade the other.  The shared ReportServer database will surely be modified so I'm not sure if the one at a time strategy will work.

• My experience:

Standalone config inplace upgrade december 2019 -> may 2020:

After upgrade it refused to recognise its configuration file. Solved after a repair installation. Still in test-phase. New powerbi reportbuilder will be distributed after the upgrade. I assume the older one can read the older reports just fine.

• We tend to upgrade soon after a new version is out as the devs like playing with all of the new features. If you are going to May 2020 you will also have to install .Net 4.7 if you don't already have that or later installed. That will require a reboot and you will also have to check any other .Net applications on the server as we find ours often break or have to be recompiled after an upgrade.

Other than that we have had no issues upgrading from one version to the next in the last year or so.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply