Upgrading from 2014 to 2019 without Downtime

• Hi Experts,

We are planning to upgrade our SQL Server 2014 to 2019. We have 3 node in which 2 are SQL Cluster and 3rd one is Always On AG. How can I achieve migration without downtime and making the environment identical to existing?

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Can you explain "We have 3 node in which 2 are SQL Cluster and 3rd one is Always On AG".?

But let's assume  you have a 3 node AwalysON AG, then you MIGHT be able to (and I have NOT tested this but will before the end of the year because I plan to migrate 2012 SQL servers) but add 3 additional Windows 2019/SQL 2019 nodes to the AG then failover to the 4th node (win 2019/sql2019) and never fail back.. remove the 3 SQL 2014 nodes.

Not sure how the SQL cluster nodes will work.

• jcarranza 23978 wrote:

Can you explain "We have 3 node in which 2 are SQL Cluster and 3rd one is Always On AG".?

But let's assume  you have a 3 node AwalysON AG, then you MIGHT be able to (and I have NOT tested this but will before the end of the year because I plan to migrate 2012 SQL servers) but add 3 additional Windows 2019/SQL 2019 nodes to the AG then failover to the 4th node (win 2019/sql2019) and never fail back.. remove the 3 SQL 2014 nodes.

Not sure how the SQL cluster nodes will work.

Thanks for the reply.  Our configuration is such that we created a 2 node SQL Cluster initially and then added a third Always On Node later.

• I would advise you to perform the following steps in a test environment before applying to production.

3rd replica

------------

Stop data movement to 3rd replica

Remove the 3rd replica from the AG and upgrade it to 2019.

Add the 3rd replica back to AG.

Start data movement to 3rd replica which is SQL 2019.

2nd replica

-----------

Stop data movement to 2nd replica

Remove the 2nd replica from the AG and upgrade it to 2019.

Add the 2nd replica back to AG.

Start data movement to 2nd replica which is SQL 2019.

Once you have two replicas on the same version SQL 2019 then you can have AG with HA with data synchronization between the replicas.  Now its time to fail-over from SQL 2014 primary. Do the fail-over from SQL 2014 primary to one of the secondary replicas and you can keep this replica as primary going forward. Synchronizing will stop between SQL 2014 primary and SQL 2019 replica when the fail-over is complete.

Now remove the final replica and upgrade it to 2019 and add it back to AG and resume the data movement.

Remember:

You cannot fail back to a lower version 2014 once you fail to 2019 replica.

Good Luck.

=======================================================================

• Hi,

Please let me know how 3rd node and 2nd node will be added back to AG group after upgrading to SQL 2019 with different version.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply