Upgrading from 2008 r2 to SQL 2016

• I just want to know, the things I need to prepare of before upgrading,

I am planning to create the new servers with 2012 as OS and then have SQL 2016

I have 3 servers, 1 dev and 2 prod.

we are still using in some cases dtx packages,

we are also using log shipping

Help is appreciated,

Thanks,

B

• One thing you'll have to do is convert those DTS packages to SSIS.

There are tools that can help you convert these, but I recommend you don't use them. Take the time to re-engineer each package so that they make efficient use of the new tasks SSIS has to offer.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• take a look at this link, it will show you the prerequisites before upgrading to SQL Server 2016 and step by step method to upgrade to SQL Server 2016: http://www.sqlmvp.org/upgrade-to-sql-server-2016/[/url]

• You need to test carefully. One of the changes to SQL 2014 was to the query optimiser. Most queries either improve slightly in performance or stay the same, but you will have a few performance degradations. You can test pre-upgrade, identify the problems and fix them before the upgrade, or your users can test after the upgrade and find all the problems.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply