Upgrade SQL 2005 Developers to Enterprise Edition

• We have a default instance of SQL 2005 Developers Edition that we want to upgrade to SQL 2005 Enterprise Edition. It seems simple, basically run the SQL 2005 Enterprise setup.exe and follow the instructions. Am I correct?? Can not find detailed upgrade instruction.

• you are correct, simply run the installation, but there is a caveat: Standard and Enterprise versions can only be installed on Server Version of operating systems...Win 2000 Server, Windows 2003.

If the operating system is anything else, the install dummies itself down to the Developer version anyway. it's the same, but limits the number of connections allowed to the server; fine for testing but not for production.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Okay - I have a followup question, as I am trying to do this myself, only from standard 2005 to enterprize 2005 - What sort of downtime could be expected? what sort of install time could there be? I have heard estimates from 20 mins to 3 hours...

-- Cory

• Thanks alot for the info. I really hate surprises 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply