upgrade SQL 2000 to SQL Server 2008 on Windows Server 2003

• Can I upgrade SQL 2000 to SQL Server 2008 on Windows Server 2003? Please let me know Whether all the features will work fine or not? Mainly I am running more DTS packages on my SQL SERVER 2000 now.

Please let me know Can I upgrade SQL SERVER 2008 on Windows 2003 or not?

Thanks in advance,

Vamsi.

• We just completed an upgrade this weekend from 2000 enterprise to 2008 enterprise on Windows 2003 Enterprise Server and everything is fine now. You will need to run the upgrade advisor and resolve any issues it finds. It will warn you about full text whether you use it or not. We are running our old DTS packages in 2008 without a hitch. You need to run the backward compatibility msi to accomplish this but the upgrade advisor will point you in the right direction.

Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings;

• Just a note that Win2003 mainstream support ends next month (7/13/2010). You can still get extended support through 7/13/2015, but this can be expensive and not be a guarantee of a supported fix (which then puts you unsupported for any vendor softwares).

Since you were running SQL2000, it's obviously been working for you to run an older SQL version. Thinking about security & bug fixes, not to mention that most vendors end their support for an OS when Microsoft does,

the OS is a bigger concern.

• Dang it. it sure is .. just when I thought we were catching up.

Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings;

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply