Updating remote data

• I have an application wich has been running for about 4 years. Clients access data from a local server. (Microsoft SQL server 2000). The client interface is a Delphi 7 application and other then setting up the table structures I have had very little do with MSSQL. The client has opened three new sites and moved the server to a fourth (Main)site. The clients now connect via a diginet line and there has been a dramatic slowdown in client performence. I have been approached to solve the problem. I have suggested that each site has its own local database and that the central database is updated daily. I have a couple of questions.

1. Could a stored procedure on the main site server be used to do the daily update from the remote sites.

2. BatchMove components are available in delphi. Should each remote database implement a batchmove update to the main server daily.

3. What other alternatives are available to achieve a solution

Thanks in advance Ian

• You could use a stored procedue on the main site to do the merge. Or, you could use the built in Replication facility - see 'Books Online'. This is what replication is designed for.

If you allow 3 sites to work locally on separate databases you will have to make sure each site work with a unique range of key values for each tables (so that users at two different sites don't insert a new record in the same table with the same key).

If the system is not too slow you can do various things to speed it up:

- Use client side cursors rather than server side.

- Have the reference tables on a local server and make sure they are updated from the main server overnight.

- reduce the network traffic. I.e make sure your SQL queries only return the columns you really need (don't use SELECT * FROM...). Do most of the processing in stored procedures, which run on the server and return the final values the program needs, rather running 5 or 6 different SQL queries.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Peter

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply